Chapter 6

Dancing. Spinning. Gliding across the floor and the cluttering of table knives and forks were the ongoing sounds from the past weeks. And today was finally the day where I would give my life away to a boy I had to depend my future on.

it was early. Too early infanct.

My eyes were puffy from the lack of sleep and my hair was messy from the tossing and turning that had occurred through my slumber.

a knock on my door. "Miss, it's time to get ready, I hope you're well rested" the voice behind the door spoke

"Yes! one moment please" i hurriedly got out of my bed and twisted the door knob to reveal an array of about 4 maids. I nodded to them as they brought silver lined boxes inside of my room with ribbons, lace, dresses with all sorts of colours and embroidery, they quickly explained to me the schedule for today before pulling out layers of dresses.

"Let's get started,shall we?"

Oh it was beautiful. The dress that had been fitted to me was like a dream come true. Literally.
It was a beautiful white evening gown which stopped just above my ankles. It had another layer of cloth each side where it made a split into the middle to show the fabric underneath which was carefully engraved with rose patterns. it was a round neck with short sleeved which hung down the shoulders along with pink ribbon tied along the waist
Which at the back trickled down to knee length which would gently sway with every movement. Accompanied by my outfit was a short beige cape which hung loosely around my shoulders, it was decorated with a chain going across from each side and a flower pin to keep it secure.

"Oh wow..." I starred at myself in awe in the mirror. The maids behind me looked pleased with their doings as they stood proudly with smiling faces. I turned to bow at them all with my head kept down, thanking them for their time and effort. They returned the gesture and we shared our thanks as they exited the room so I could have time to adjust myself.

For once in a lifetime it was quiet. No clicking heels. Chattering guards. Just me.
I Sighed softly as I sat down into my vanity chair opening the draws and beginning to brush through my hair which remained neatly on my shoulders. i used a hairpin gifted by shirayuki to pin back the left side of my hair while leaving the other side to rest on my shoulder, the hairpin was beautiful engraved with flowers and leaves, a typical gift from the court herbalist herself. Lastly, I attached a pair of earrings which dangled with feathers, also a gift from the local bird callers.
I brushed myself of and stared at myself in the mirror for a few seconds before stumbling towards the door. I turned to look at my childish but royal room one last time before letting the door click and shut and I made my way to the exit point where I would be sent of by my family.

"Your highness" the guards replied in unison to my entry
, I gave a smile towards them which they politely returned as my gaze fell upon my family and the horse drawn carriage which was to the side with lord haruka waiting patiently inside to escort me to my destination.

The line of people waiting for me made my breath hitch and a nervous sensation filled my body. As I glanced at zen who quickly paced in my direction enveloping me into a hug which I retuned, "you don't have to do this you know..there's other options.." he muttered into my shoulder, I pulled him away by his shoulders "if anything happens I'll send an order to be sent straight back to clarinets. I promise." I looked into his sad eyes as he nodded taking one last glance at me before standing back into the line. The others smiled and nodded at me, wishing me luck and a few "you've got this!" in the background. Shirayuki, mitsuhide, kik and obi were all waving at me with saddened smiles.

I bowed towards them all and thanked them, as I turned I wiped my eyes from any further tears escaping as I stepped into the carriage, sitting down on the velvet seats before a slight click was heard and the carriage started moving. Looking behind me I saw everybody waving even the guards who outstretched their arms with saddening looks on their faces

i lowered my Head before Lord Haruka spoke with a hint of harshness In his tone.
"Your highness. Rest assured that this is the best for clarinets, it's your fate and duty to do what's best for your kingdom."

"I am aware" I replied back while gawking out of the window.

"also, miss shirayuki will be joining you tomorrow evening. she has been graciously invited to the palace by prince raji to attend the ball as well as a sign of thanks. i hope this is good news since you will have a friend to talk to, but dont get distracted"

my eyes lit up at the statement and i nodded at the mention of shirayukis name 

time skip

  The rest of the carriage ride was quiet with the occasional grunt or cough, the only thing i could see were the 4 guards, two stationed on each side and one at the front which i was unable to see.

soon enough the trees from the forest cleared and a a town could be spotted in the Distance as it slowly came into view. The sparkling lakes and vast nature filled the streets and surrounded the town, it was beautiful. i pressed my hand against the window admiring the scenery before it finally came into view, the castle. i stared in awe but it quickly went away as a sense of nervousness and nausea came over me. my face grew hot and i felt pale which resulted in me sitting back into my seat properly and biting my lip.

the carriage crossed a bridge before entering the main castle grounds. a line of guards each side were stood like stone as they seemed to have noticed my arrival, the carriage came to a halt and a shake, i soon heard a click from the door as it was opened widely by my own guard. i thanked his gesture with a smile and carefully stepped out from the carriage. 

as on que a figure emerged from the pathway ahead. Raji.

my breath hitched as he halted just a few steps away from where i was stood. "I appreciate you traveling all this way. It's very nice to see you again Princess Aerin. How was your journey?" he asked with his hands neatly folded behind his back. something seemed...different about him, i just cant put my finger on it.

"It was fine your highness, thank you so much for the gracious invitation. i am truly honoured" i replied with a smile just like him. i couldnt help but notice the slight change in his facial expressions. he seemed more calm and collected and his eyes looked like they had a spark in them from last time.

"well then. right this way" Raji outstretched his arm towards the distance we were headed and took a step forward. i returned the action and followed his lead into the castle.