Ch. 1

"How do you get to wonderland

"How do you get to wonderland."
- Joanna Wang

Twenty-one
.
.
.
.
You were officially twenty-one years old today. You were ecstatic and angry about it.
Ecstatic because you finally could do as you pleased, get out of this town and discover the world. Experience new things and enjoy your adult life.

But...

That could only happen in a wonderland.

And this is not a wonderland, because the real world is a living hell.

At least to you it is.

While others your age could do whatever they wanted, not having to obey any rules that had been laid out for them... you're here stuck following those rules.

You were angry about it.

Angry at yourself for growing up. You knew that you couldn't prevent it, but you have dreaded this day ever since you were a young teenager. You were always told by your mother that at twenty-one, your life would change for the better. You would get engaged to some random young man from a rich family. And that's how your parents knew that your future would be perfect.

To them, a perfect life and future for you was being able to have money, jewels, anything valuable gifted to you as you had a rich husband by your side.

That was what she meant as a 'better' life but to you...

It was only going to be a nightmare.

—————————————————
—————————————————

"Y/n- I'm not going to repeat myself. Get dressed and out of your room. It's your birthday for goodness sake! Don't you want to enjoy it?"

As you heard mother's words from the other side of your bedroom door, you were staring at a peculiar dress that was sitting on your dresser.

It was blue.
Like the beautiful skies on a sunny day.
Getting closer, feeling the tulle and lace that it was made of. Your hands traced along toward the top of the dress.
It was off the shoulder, but had medium-sized sleeves.

"I better not see you locked in your room, sulking, when I get back, you hear me!" Your mother huffed out in annoyance, leaving the hallway.

After hearing her footsteps disappear, you thought to yourself for a moment. What could you even do today? You couldn't go outside the house gates so going into town wasn't an option. Besides, your mother was probably heading there to meet with her so called 'friends' to just gossip and drink tea.

You rolled your eyes at the thought of it.

'I guess I should just grab my book and head to the field.'

Before heading out, you decided to obey your mother's wishes and dressed up. Either way, the dress was beautifully made so you didn't want to just leave it there. Surprisingly the dress wasn't too heavy nor itchy. Most dresses that your mother made you wear were always too tight and uncomfortable. You looked at yourself in the mirror. The tulle felt very soft against your skin. You brushed your h/c locks out, deciding to leave it down today. Putting on your white wedged shoes, and grabbing the book that was next to your nightstand, you exited out of your room and headed to your safe place.

—————————————————
—————————————————

As you arrived to the field of daises, that was not to far behind your house, you plopped down against the big old tree that sat next to the beautiful field.
Sighing to yourself, you opened up your book and began to read from where you left of.

The book that you had in your hands was a gift from your older sister. She had given it to you last night since she wasn't able to visit today.

Your older sister had faced the same hell of a life that you were planned to have. When she had to get engaged, you were barely fourteen years old. You hated the fact that she was going to leave you. She's the only one who understood you, even if she could be a bit bitchy sometimes. But you never blamed her for it. She handled that whole engagement thing way better than you will.

Although, you could tell that she wasn't truly happy. Her husband was a dick who only cared about power, money and owning land. At first he seemed like he actually took interest in her but after your niece was born, he became more cold towards her. Probably because your niece wasn't a nephew. That man only gave your sister troubles, even if she didn't face him as much, unless they were in public. But you saw through all that bullshit.

And now, you were next in line to experience it.

Looking out at the daisy field. You felt at peace. It was very quiet and warm. A perfect place to be indeed.

You closed your book and got up, walking towards the sea of flowers. Kneeling down, you took in a breath and let it out as you laid yourself down, wanting to be surrounded by their smell and beauty. You giggled to yourself as you tried looking up at the sky. Squinting your eyes for a second until you could finally take in the sun and it's clouds.

Staring off to the sky you wondered about your dreams. The dreams that you could only dream about, and never achieve now.

Crossing your arms behind your head, still looking up at the sky, you let out a sigh.

And wondered to yourself
.
.
.
"Oh how I wish I could live in a world of my own."

—————————————————
unedited