The Bet

No one's p.o.v:

"No retreat!"

"No Surrender!"

Four friends were hanging out together on the day of the dead. We have Maria, Joaquin, Manolo, and Valerie. On this festive, enchanted day, families bring food and offerings to the alters of their beloved. Then the ruler of the Land of the Remembered, La Muerte, and the ruler of the Land of the Forgotten, Xibalba, decided to look around but they were also there for another reason.

Let's just say those two have a complicated relationship. "Really, my dear, you have no idea how cold and vile the Land of the Forgotten has become" Xibalba said and this made La Muerte chuckle.

"Just like your heart, Xibalba, just like your heart" she said as she light some candles back on which Xibalba had recently put out.

"Why must I rule a bleak wasteland while you enjoy the endless fiesta in the Land of the Remembered? It's simply unfair" Xibalba asked, he didn't want to rule the Land of the Forgotten anymore.

He was about to end a man's life until La Muerte stopped him, "Xibalba!" She hissed. "What? It's his time... More or less" he said, but La Muerte wasn't having it. "Uh-uh. Not today, my love" she said. "Come on, my dear, trade lands with me. I beg you" Xibalba said. "Oh, you're so cute when you beg" La Muerte said sarcastically.

"I'm serious. I hate it down there!" "Hey! You're there cause you cheated! You made your bed with that wager. You're not the man I fell in love and had our daughter with all those centuries ago" La Muerte said, turning away from her ex lover.

"Uh... let's not dwell on the past mi amor" Xibalba said, but got a glare in response. "Anyway, uh, I was thinking... How about another little wager?" He asked. "You think you can calm the flames with another bet? What exactly did you have in mind?" La Muerte replied, after raising her voice, before she and Xibalba went to the roof top and that's where they saw Maria, Joaquin, Manolo, and Valerie.

As the leaders looked, that's where they saw the four kids. "Look, it's Valentina" Xibalba said and La Muerte smiled. "Good to see she has some friends" she said.

"Two boys. Best friends, no less" Xibalba said, "oh, in love with the same girl... but there's a problem" La Muerte pointed out, this made Xibalba confused. "What do you mean?" He asked. "Our daughter is in love with one of them" La Muerte said, talking about Valerie and Joaquin. "Looks like our daughter is gonna be part of this bet" Xibalba said.

Meanwhile, with the kids, Valerie was sitting next to Maria and they both watched the boys tried to impress them. Valerie got distracted until she ended up spotting Xibalba and La Muerte. When the spirits noticed this they each put a finger to their lips, signalling her to not say anything. She nodded, not knowing why she listened to them but she did anyway, before turning back to her friends.

When the boys said that Maria was there's, both girls stood down and pushed them to the ground. "I belong to know one" Maria said, "not all ladies are some helpless damsels like in those fairy tales" Valerie added. "Whoa" the boys said in shock.

"I believe we have our wager. Which boy will marry her and see if our daughter will finally get her true love. She was named Valentina for a reason" Xibalba said as they watched the four kids.

"Very well. We will each choose one of these boys as our champion. As for our daughter, we will both watch and see if the boy she loves will love her back" La Muerte said.

Young Valerie's p.o.v:

I walked away from my way and went to the favourite place I like to go when I want to be alone... Who were those people? Why was I the only one who could see them? I wish I knew who my real parents were, I was found outside the city by Maria's father and he's been raising me ever since. But I don't consider him as my father.

I remember, on the night before my birthday, a voice was singing a song. My friends, mostly Manolo, would always catch me singing the song I called 'Remember Me'.

[Young Valerie]

Remember Me

Though I have to say goodbye

Remember Me

Don't let it make you cry

For even if I'm far away, I hold you in my heart.

I sing a secret song to you each night we are apart.

Remember Me

Though I have to travel far

Remember Me

Each time you hear a sad guitar

Know that I'm with you the only way that I can be.

Until you're in my arms again.

Remember...

Me...

[End of Song]

At the end I heard clapping, I turn to see it was Joaquin. I smiled at him. "That was a good song you sang, did you write it with Manolo?" He asked and I shook my head, "no. Before my birthday I heard a lady and she sang that song until I fell asleep. I always sing it when I want to be alone or if I think about my real parents" I explained.

"You'll find them eventually" he said before sitting next to me, "I know... I just want to know why they gave me up" I say before leaning my head against his shoulder.

'Will he ever love me like I love him?'