Chapter 42: Here

Kathleen eased into a parking spot a few feet away from the hospital's entrance and turned to her dad, "Want me to wait?"

Elliot looked up at the face of the building, shielding his eyes and as the afternoon sun reflected off of the windows. The building was barely distinguishable from the others around it, but it held something that was so precious to him. It was crazy to him that if circumstances had been different, weeks from now he could have easily driven past it while she was giving birth and be none the wiser.

"No," he sighed, turning back to Kathleen and opening his arms for a hug. She gladly leaned in and he squeezed her tightly. "Thank you for the ride, honey."

"You're welcome," she replied as he released her from the hug.

He took one more look at the building before opening the car door, hobbling out of it and then closing it. He checked his watch and found the at it was 2 pm meaning that he had 2 more hours for visitation; Two hours to catch up on all that he'd missed in the last 6 weeks and two hours to tell her how sorry he was.

"Dad?" Kathleen called as he lingered at the open car window.

"Mm?" He turned.

"Tell her I say hi?"

"I will," he smiled.

"And also Dad?" She called again as he turned to leave. "Try not to faint."

Elliot replied with a wide smile before tapping the Jeep and stepping away from the curb and as he did, Kathleen began to merge into traffic.

He continued to follow the car until it disappeared further down the street, then turned his attention back to the hospital and took his first steps towards it. As he approached the building, he tried not to think about the events of the last 24 hours and that yesterday, at around his time, his life could have even taken from him or made totally different.

No, instead, he reminded himself that he was alive, and so was Olivia and while he may not deserve them— life or Olivia—he had them, only if for today. 

+++

"Thank you," Elliot offered to the nurse as he pointed him in the direction of Olivia's room and reiterated the path to it. He'd tried his best to pay attention to the instructions given at the nurses' station but after three missed turns leading him no close to room 139, Elliot decided that it was time to ask someone for help.

"No problem," the man smiled before jogging off in the opposite direction.

Elliot chanted the directions in his head as he walked down the hallway.

Right, left, and follow the numbers.

Right...

Left... Derek.

"Derek?" Elliot called at the figure standing aways down the hallway. The man turned, confirming Elliot's suspicions.

"Elliot, hey. I was just gonna come looking for you, figured you got lost."

"That I did," Elliot laughed, sinking his hands into the pocket of his sweats. "It seemed pretty straight forward but..."

"It's a maze," the younger man chuckled, adjusting his knapsack on his shoulders.

"Somewhere to be?" asked Elliot trying his best not to let his concern be apparent.

"I figured that I'd stretch my legs and get something else to eat other than cafeteria food. Plus I promised Liv a burrito when she woke up."

"She's asleep?"

"Yeah, finally," Derek groaned, rubbing his eye with the palm of his hand.

"Tough night?"