Chapter 43: Family

A/N: Time to get your final guesses in as to what Olivia is having! Hope y'all enjoy xxxx

"You should go and get some real sleep," she whispered sleepily as she ran her hand through his hair.

Her eyelids were heavy and her words were slurred, but he'd sat through similar scenes at earlier hours to know that it didn't mean that she was close to sleep. She'd be on the brink of slumber multiple times only to be awoken by something or the other.

"I took a nap on the table when they re-bandaged my arm," he stated matter of factly, trying his best to keep his smile at bay. "Plus I don't think that that couch is much more comfortable than being right here with you.

It was true that he, too, was exhausted and would probably do good with a few hours in a comfortable bed, but there was no way that she was going to be out of his sight any more than she'd already been during his emergency bandage change in the early morning.

Derek had been here in his absence, only leaving when he returned, but Elliot had spent the entire 40 minutes away thinking of her and fearing that yesterday's late afternoon induction—which had only borne unproductive contractions and boatloads of anxiety up until his departure—would suddenly work too well and he'd somehow miss one or more of the births entirely.

"You know that I mean, Elliot...Plus, your arm has to be killing you," she managed to drag out while fighting to keep her eyes open. He reached in and thumbed her forehead, causing her to close her eyes briefly.

"What if I told you that it wasn't hurting?"

"I'd call you a liarrr," she slurred as she finally closed her eyes and gave him a small smile.

"Guess I'm a liar," he whispered, drawing smaller and smaller circles on her forehead until he thought that he could remove his thumb without her knowing.

He held his breath and waited to see if for the umpteenth time she'd open eyes and restart the cycle again. He breathed again when after a full 60 seconds her eyes remained closed and her breath seemed to finally even out.

He was more than ecstatic to finally see her sleep because while the epidural had diminished most of the contractional pain, the residual was enough to leave her persistently uncomfortable and thus make him feel utterly useless.

Walking made it worse because she was tired, massages pained her and even the ball made her feel lousy. Instead, she'd spent most of the night tossing and turning in an attempt to alleviate the pain for more than twelve hours leading up to this point. The worst part was that in that time she'd only dilated one more centimetre and though the babies were still fine and she was healthy—he could tell that the process was wearing on her quickly and that quite possibly they were headed for a C-section.

He hadn't brought up the topic because she was very much still in the grit and bare stage, but the thought had run through his mind enough for him to attempt to prepare himself for the possibility. But maybe now, that she'd finally found slumber she'd be able to replenish her stores enough battle ahead.

He caught her head as it began to slide backwards off of the pillow that they currently shared and pushed it back gently. He then settled back down beside her and pulled up the blanket to her waist. He watched her as she slept, mouth agape and oblivious to the world and thanked God for these quiet moments that he'd even granted with her. Before long he felt his own eyes begin to droop and this time he didn't fight the pull of slumber.

+++

"So no names?" Elliot chuckled, catching Olivia rolling her eyes as he turned to Derek.

He'd only brought up the topics about names to inject some brainless conversation into the quiet post-nap atmosphere, but he got more than he'd expected to get; with the two of them sharing comical glances at each other culminating in Olivia rolling her eyes and Derek chuckling.