Chapter 1

~Introduction~

Brielle: Nonna! Look what I found!

The little girl runs to the silver lady who did nothing but stare into the horizon. Her gaze cloudy even if the weather was warm and the sun almost blinded her. The things she had witnessed, the pain she had suffered, the sins she had done, and the payments she had to endure broke the woman and sculpted a soldier, a Queen without a throne. Even if she flew to the sun the light wouldn't be enough to melt the ice in her heart.

But maybe that little girl could. Only when she heard her chuckle she lowered her eyes.

Nonna: What did you find darling?

The girl stopped and looked at her grandmother with those beautiful green eyes that haunted her in her youth. Owned by the man who destroyed her and made her reborn from the ashes. Now those eyes belonged to the most innocent soul. But one she knew was about to get burnt.

Brielle: Here...

The girl smiles brightly and gives her protector an old printed photograph.
One that was from a long time ago. One she forgot existed.
One that proved she wasn't always broken.

Brielle: Is that you?

A goofy girl wearing a black hoodie, while making a weird, silly face.
How could that be her? When was the last time she smiled so carefree? Why was she smiling like that back then?

For a moment she lost her breath because she remembered. She remembered what or better who was the reason of that smile.

 She remembered what or better who was the reason of that smile

Nonna: Yes... that's me.

The girl examines the photograph and looks up at her Grandmother again.

Brielle: You were so pretty! I mean you are pretty now as well.

The older woman smiles sadly at the child and nods at herself.

Nonna: It's not about the looks my darling. It's about how I felt back then. And surprisingly you found a rare picture that depicts a beautiful feeling.

Brielle: Which one?

Nonna: Happiness my girl.

She takes a deep breath and hands back the photograph knowing pretty well that smile belongs to the past.

Nonna: You need to cherish these moments. Cause the life we live doesn't allow that emotion to thrive. You can only get glimpses of it and hold on them. For as long as you can...

________________________

WARNING!/DISCLAIMER!

1. I don't own the rights of the pictures used in the story. The pictures/photographs were randomly selected from Google search because they fit my vision of the characters.