Step by Step

47 crossed the dark room towards the bar, wading through the crowd

47 crossed the dark room towards the bar, wading through the crowd. He regretted wearing the black button down shirt and the charcoal grey suit trousers, he stood out more than expected. Making a mental note that denims and something colourful with short sleeves seemed to be more appropriate for this kind of location, he leaned against the bar and ordered a beer.

Another item for his mental list of things to regret that night; the smell and taste reminded him of those seemingly endless nights ten years ago, trying to numb his brain when the coin he flipped decided that he had to live for another day.

He pushed the bitter thoughts aside and focused on his mission.
His eyes roamed the room, looking for the right kind of person to practice the skills he was trying to acquire. Of course it was a mere coincidence that he decided to give the redhead at the far end of the bar a go.

He tried to remember what the guidebook said about approaching a woman.

1. Make eye contact with the woman you want to talk to.

This should be easy enough.
Turns out it wasn't. She wouldn't even glance in his direction, and he didn't want to do silly things to attract her attention.
Feeling slightly discouraged already, he took a large sip of his beer. Maybe it would help to loosen up a little. He remembered Diana giving him this advice on multiple occasions. Not to drink beer, of course, to relax. It felt weird to even try.

He decided to get a little closer; it would be a plausible excuse when he took one or two germ-infested peanuts from the bowl on the bar. He didn't have to actually eat them.
Another sip of beer and go.

2. Smile and see if she smiles back.

47 furrowed his brow. Of course he'd spent half an hour in his safehouse's tiny bathroom, practising his smile in front of the mirror. It wasn't very convincing.

He wondered if smiling was really necessary, Diana never seemed to expect him to smile. Then again, she also didn't see him as a potential partner. He felt a sudden sadness and looked at the bottle in his hands. Of course she didn't, why would she. Maybe he should abandon this mission and go back to the safehouse, embrace the loneliness instead of trying to overcome it.

No smiling, then. He made eye contact again and nodded stiffly. She raised her eyebrows and chuckled into her drink after she looked away again.
He counted that as a success.

3. Read her body language.

Finally something he was good at. His target seemed confident, but not a threat. Most likely unarmed. No enemies or at least not aware of any; she sat with her back to the crowd and didn't watch out for attacks.

Diana would never sit like this. She was always aware of her surroundings; situational awareness was important in their line of work. Maybe that's why he felt calm and safe when they were together, he knew that she was having his back the way he had hers.