Chapter 8: Everyday Shenanigans

"Wake up, bro."

The first bell rang, signaling the start of the day.

"It's starting already? Wasn't it just 7 am?" Oliver rubbed his eyes.

Miguel put his hand on Oliver's shoulder. "You fell asleep. Time flies fast when you sleep."

----------

"Can you bring these to the faculty office, Summer?"

Summer stood up. "Alright."

Walking over to the desk with the papers, she signaled Oliver to stand up as well.

Oh yeah, right. I have to come with her.

"Can I help her, ma'am?" Oliver asked.

The two walked down the quiet hallway to the faculty office. The smell of fresh paint from the renovations, chalk dust staining the floor in white, and school posters covering the walls.

"Well, here we are." Summer said.

The two entered the faculty office and dropped off the two boxes of papers they had been carrying for a few minutes. As they did so, they swiftly left to head back to their classroom.

Summer glanced at Oliver. "By the way, you ready for the exams next week?"

"THOSE ARE NEXT WEEK?"

"Yes."

"Well, I'm dead." Oliver laughed nervously.

"You know," Summer locked her hands behind her back. "I could help you study."

"Really?"

"Yeah, you never ask me to help you during exams. The only times you ask for help with academics is when you want to copy my homework."

Oliver chuckled as he scratched his head. "Couldn't do it without you."

"So, let's study after school?"

"Yeah, let's do it."

----------

After a long day of classes and lectures, the bell finally rang. The school had ended for the day.

"Let's head home shall we?" Summer picked up her bag.

"Well uh, you see,"

Summer leaned closer. "What?"

"Well," Oliver grinned awkwardly. "I kinda promised I'd go out with someone."

"When you knew very well that we would review for the exams?" Summer looked at him with a spine-chilling smile.

"I'M SORRY. I promised to go to the mall with this person to help her-"

"A girl?" Summer's smile grew larger as her hand reached into her bag.

"A GROUPMATE. She's in my group for the science project that Ma'am Jem gave a while ago."

"I see," Summer replied.

Someone tapped Oliver's shoulder. "Hey, you ready to go?"

As her face came into view, Summer recognized her immediately.