Ch. 2 Dinner ends unexpectedly

"Winter Rental", Ch. 2 Dinner ends unexpectedly,  by Gratiana Lovelace
January 10, 2022 
("Winter Rental" is an original contemporary romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2022; All rights reserved.);
[(1) the "Winter Rental" story cover (above) image credits are at the end of each chapter(s) post]

[Author's note: I cast my characters as I write my stories—to help myself and my readers visualize the main characters. So my main characters for "Winter Rental" are: Richard Armitage as Greg Halliday; Cameron Diaz as his younger sister Connie Halliday; Anne Hathaway as Diana Langley; [Liam] Hemsworth as Eddie Hughes; Rege-Jean Page as Mike Porter, and others as noted.

I will post new story chapters on both my SAL blog, as well as, on my Wattpad site. And initially, I posted Ch. 0 through Ch. 2 to get this story started, then after that I will post new chapters weekly.

This is also gentle romance (with chapters being rated as PG-13 or so, unless otherwise noted), with some heartfelt romantic moments—and some mature romantic discussions put to humorous effect. So if you cannot or will not attend a movie with my maturity ratings, then don't read that chapter. And though I set my story in the lovely city and area of Galena, IL—which I have enjoyed visiting many times—for the purposes of my storytelling here, I use dramatic license of the facts, individuals, locations, etc. These are my disclaimers.]

     "Winter Rental", Ch. 2: Dinner at the Resort ends unexpectedly

After Diana settles into her hotel suite—that has its own kitchen and dining area opposite an upscale cozy seating area around a stone fireplace with a large screen tv above it, and her bedroom and bathroom in a separate room-- Diana avails herself of the spa bathroom. Its whirlpool tub jets are particularly nice for her sore back and other muscles after frantically packing and moving her stuff out of her home. But she feels that she could almost swim laps in the tub it's so big.

Then Diana dresses in a new butterscotch colored slightly off the shoulder sweater dress with her shoulder length brunette hair flowing about her shoulders in soft curls, and she lightly applies her makeup—despite it being nighttime that might call for a bit of jazzing up her look.

Diana doesn't try to be something she isn't, and she is just herself. Then she adds a single strand of pearls and pearl post earrings. As a school teacher, she always dresses in an understated way--just part of her preference for modesty. But, she does accentuate her dress a bit with a wide brown leather belt cinching her waist in at Melanie's suggestion when they passed the ski resort hotel's dress shop this afternoon. Diana feels that she looks appropriately dressy casual and heads down to meet the Hallidays and their friends for dinner. And as it turns out, it is just Greg and Connie waiting for Diana in the lobby.

Diana: Waving at Connie as she walks up to her in the lobby, Diana asks. "So, where are your friends?

Greg: "They were tired from the long drive and decided to stay in this evening. You look lovely." He smiles cordially as he compliments her.

Diana: "Thanks. You both do, too." They are dressed nicely, with Greg wearing a large creamy sweater that showcases his broad shoulders and arm muscles, yet in an understated way. But Connie is wearing a low cut skin tight black cocktail dress that leaves nothing to the imagination.

Connie: Looking at her brother askance for his version of the story, she says "Ron and Sylvia? Oh, they're back at the cottage having couples alone time. If you know what I mean, Diana. Ha!" She laughs.

Diana: "Ah!" Diana nods her head knowingly. It hadn't occurred to her that people renting out her home might be having sex in it. Mostly, because she doesn't have sex in her home. And she wonders which bedroom Ron and Sylvia are in. Then she wryly shakes her head to try to dislodge the potential images that thought creates.