ɪɪ. ᴏᴋᴀʏ, ʙᴜᴛ ᴡʜᴇɴ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀʙʏ ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴀʟᴏɴɢ?

Ok, you all, the sex has been done, and as you know- sex leads to babies

But as I've read so many pregnancy fanfics on Wattpad, ao3, and Fanfiction.net ( Let's not even get to Tumblr ), here's the thing I feel that many authors, not all, MANY authors don't seem to take into account:

I. The Menstrual Cycle

Ok, ANY female above the age of, say, 11? Yes, let's make it 11 ( I knew about it by 10, but many don't know until 11, so we'll take it to be 11 )

So anyway, any woman above the age of 11 will know it, and since I know that there are MANY 10-year-olds here on Wattpad ( I'm not saying it's bad to be here, I'm just saying that you NEED to know this so that you can get pregnancy fics right ), let me explain it to the ones who DON'T know it yet.

The Menstrual Cycle is divided into phases and generally is around 26-30 days long, but it varies for each woman.

So, let's take what happens, for a baby to be born.

First off, here's a chart of the stages of the Menstrual Cycle for you to refer to.

As you can see in the image above, we have four stages: The pink one, the purple one, the Louis blue ( yes, I'll call it that, haters can fuck off ), and dark blue

The pink one is the 'Menstruation'. It's when the vaginal bleeding occurs, a sign that you aren't pregnant. 

( like that meme when the girl sees that she's on her period, and first she goes, "Oh shit." but the next she'll yell off the roof, "I'M NOT PREGNANT!" )

The purple one is the 'pre-ovulation' phase, and here, preparation in the body is done for ovulation. For instance, the lining of the uterus thickens. 

The light blue is the 'ovulation'. THIS is the period of time when a woman can get pregnant. No other time can pregnancy occur. 

So, there aren't a lot of odds of a woman getting pregnant in a drunken one-night stand now, is it? 

Also, y'all, a quick note: The ova, too, has an 'expiry date', which is 24-hours. 

PCOS: It's the acronym Polycystic ovary syndrome, which is a reason that the females diagnosed with this syndrome have infrequent/prolonged menstruation and the ovaries may develop little follicles and fail to release eggs regularly. 

Some of the symptoms of PCOS are menstrual irregularity, excess hair growth, acne, and obesity.

This can be treated, but not cured. 

Now, how does this affect the reproductive process? 

It affects reproduction as women with PCOS may face difficulties in conceiving, but for all you sexist prats: THIS IS NOT THEIR FAULT. Ok? It wasn't their CHOICE to have PCOS.

II. Protection

Authors always make women pregnant when they didn't use protection, COMPLETELY forgetting the enigma known as 'STDs'. I did explain this in the last chapter, but I'll tell you again: STDS ARE LIFE-THREATENING. Please, don't make that the only thing you can get by not using protection is a baby. 

As I said, realism is important. 

III. Miscarriage

More than ten to twenty percent of pregnancies end in miscarriage. Your OC can't always carry a kid and give birth to the said kid. 

Here are the different ways a woman can miscarriage:

a. Infections

b.High levels of harmful radiations or toxic agents

c. Smoking, alcoholism, drug abuse ( The illegal ones )

d. Un-controlled diabetes. 

e. Severe malnutrition. 

Mind you, these are not ALL the ways a woman can miscarry. These are just some of the ways off the top of my mind. 

The symptoms of miscarriage are:

a. Bleeding. It'll go from light to heavy.

b. Abdominal pain.

c. Cramps.

d. Backache

About 1/3 to 1/2 of women miscarry before they even know they're pregnant, so maybe just make your OC miscarry BEFORE she even knows she's pregnant?

My teeth hurt right now ( got my braces the day before yesterday ) so I'll see you in the next chapter, which will probably be on fertilization.

Anyway, I hope this helped! Do comment to show your displeasure or pleasure! 

See you soon!