Chapter 7. The Sports Event

The sports event was tomorrow. Is it normal to feel nervous for a sports event even though you're going to be hidden the whole way through? Well I guess it's gonna be fine.

The best part is that I'm going to be with Hu Tao the whole way through!! 

Hu Tao seemed quite excited for that too. We had today to rehearse as the mascot. It was really hard to see through the translucent eyes under the darn huge bushy golden eyebrows of his. Well, a lot of Chinese dragons have those sort of bushy eyebrows I guess. Hu Tao had her own problem too. The tail and the body seemed to have been stuck together as separate pieces, which was not what we had expected as everything else was in one piece. The tail had to be stuck a little lower to help with the waving while we were walking around, and that gave Hu Tao great discomfort, not to mention the bits of golden hair of the dragon sticking in from the outside, itching the both of us. But other than the quality of the mascot costume, everything else went fine. Chongyun, Xingqiu, and the rest of the class got themselves ready for the event. Venti asked if we could use our elemental skills, which we haven't used in a long time since there haven't been any hilichurl or slime issues around Liyue and Monstadt. Mr. Diluc didn't recommend it, but we all took on a vote and basically we all chose to use our elemental skills, to which Mr. Diluc reluctantly agreed to. 

I don't think Hu Tao and I are going to use it much because we're going to be under a fat dragon for three and a half hours. Amber and Bennett were chosen to light the torches that were on a neat row in front of all the seats for the school staff. We figured we could get the Hydro wielders to be lookouts, in case anything catches on fire. As for the Cryo wielders (Chongyun was the only one in the class)... they didn't really have much to do, but I suggested if we could use some special effects. I tried to include everyone in the class. Things were going perfectly, we practiced and practiced. And before we knew it, there were civilians of Mondstadt and Liyue sitting accordingly, cheering their heads off, screaming for their own side. Venti, Amber and Bennett had a hard time seeing their old schoolmates march onto the field, under the rays of sunlight, as they proudly showed themselves.

Hu Tao and I sat in the changing rooms watching from the gaps of the blankets covering the the open tent. 

"How are we supposed to win against them?" I asked worryingly as our opponents continued to wave at their side.

"I'm sure our class can do it,"Hu Tao said reassuringly,"besides, we have our own things to worry about. Like where the dragon costume is."

"What?" I said in confusion. I spun around to see the dragon costume gone. Staring at the empty corner by the entrance where the costume would have been, I looked around that area to see if the dragon costume was anywhere to be found.

"Eh... Yanfei-" Hu Tao tugged on my sleeve. I turned and fixed my eyes on where she was looking. A pair of students were sneaking into their own changing rooms - with the dragon costume!

"Darn those jerks!" I grunted, clenching my teeth in anger.

"Should we sneak in after them?" Hu Tao suggested.

"For the rage of the Adepti yes!" I grabbed Hu Tao's hand and we rushed out of the tent. 

Sneaking under the wooden stands holding the rows of seats the audience were sitting on, we made it to the other side. Who knew there were such jerks in Mondstadt... I thought with a groan of annoyance. Hu Tao and I slunk into their tent, to find a group of six students gathered around the costume. They seemed to be discussing something, so we sat in our hiding spot and listened...

"Okay, we've got the costume, now what?" one of the boys turned to another one next to him. Both of them, I immediately realised, were the ones who stole our costume.