Chapter Two

During school Brooks told me he wanted to meet up after school and talk through everything properly.

So after the bell went I said good bye to Felicity and Tabby and went and sat in my car, waiting for Brooks.

Brooks lived down Green Street and so did I. It was a street known for the rich actually. Probably another reason for my popularity. And I knew that Brooks only lived a few doors down from me.

My house was the very house on the end, right next to the forest. The forest was pretty cool actually. I go there often to cool down and think about life.

Brooks came out not too long after I had sat down in my car. I watched him say good bye to his mates and walk over to me. He greeted me with a warm hug and a "Hey".

"Hey" I replied and smiled at him.

"Follow me" He grinned and held out his hand towards me. I grabbed hold of it tightly and walked beside him.

We walked around the back of the school towards the field and sat down on the edge of it. Below us was a pretty stream that ran past the back of the school.

I took off my shoes and socks and put my feet in the water. He was nice and cool, especially because of how hot the day was. Brooks looked at me confused.

"What?" I laughed at him.

"I just didn't think you were the type of girl to do that" He said.

I arched an eyebrow, "To do what?"

"Get your feet wet. I don't know, could mess up your nail polish or something"

I laughed at him. Okay, so I do care about my nails and things and I love shopping but of course I love getting a bit dirty every once and a while.

Then I realised, maybe Brooks didn't want a girl who could get dirty. Maybe he only liked girls who were always clean and posh.

"Is that okay?" I asked, nervously.

He rolled his eyes as if it was a stupid question and then took off his shoes and socks. So I'm guessing that it's okay with him.

"Come here" He whined at me and held out his hands. I walked in front of him, through the stream because he was sitting on the edge of the field and grabbed onto his hands.

We intwined our fingers together and he smiled at me.

"I know I'm not that great with words, but I really did miss you. It was hell not getting to speak to you. I'm sorry that I let my reputation get in the way of what we have. I realise now that you are more important than all of that" He said softly. He seemed pretty upset about it and that made me upset.

"It's okay" I smiled, "Just never leave me again, okay?"

"I promise" He smiled and kissed my hand.

"Did you want to meet up at Green Forest tonight? I can sneak out and see you" I suggested but he frowned and shook his head instantly.

"No!" He shouted, quite angrily. "Don't go there tonight" He said and gripped onto my fingers pretty tight.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, just I remember my teacher saying that there are wolves there at the moment. I wouldn't want you getting attacked or anything" He spoke rather fast.

He was confusing me. "Brooks, there are always wolves in that forest? It's Green Forest. It's known for its wide variety of wolves?" I questioned.

"Yeah, I know. Just.. It's a full moon. Don't want you getting bitten by a werewolf" He laughed, but I could tell his laugh was fake and it made me think there was more truth behind his little joke.

I shook it off. I mean werewolves? As if!

"So, you don't want to meet up?" I asked again because the whole wolf thing confused me.

"No, Belle. I just told you not to go there tonight. So please don't" His voice was so serious and shaky and it made me nervous. What was he so afraid of?

Surely not the full moon or anything stupid like werewolves I mean, for one they don't even exist.

I told him I wouldn't go there and he returned back to him happy self. We talked for hours about stupid things only lovers would speak of. And we lay up on the grass and looked up at the stars.

I told him my dead mother was up there looking out for me. I talked about her for a while actually but he didn't seem to mind.
It got pretty cold and he gave me his leather bike jacket to wear. Time flew so fast. I glanced at my phone and realised it was 7:30. I had promised my dad I would be home to make him dinner so I had to leave pretty quick. I felt really bad for leaving Brooks like that but I gave him a kiss and said I'd come watch him at volleyball training tomorrow after school.

I arrived home a bit before eight. I was very scared to come home late because I knew that dad would be drunk as always. I parked my car and walked in through the front door to find him spread over the couch, beer bottles spilled and scattered over the floor and the rugby on.

"You're late, again!" He yelled as soon as I stepped inside the house.

"I know, I'm sorry" I pleaded, heading towards the kitchen. I just hoped he wasn't so drunk that he was going to do something stupid.

But just then a beer bottle went flying through the air and landed on the kitchen floor with a crack.

"Did anything break?" I heard dad ask so I went to check if anything had.

A few tiles has chipped and cracked where the bottle had fallen. "Yeah, some tiles" I told him.

"See what fucking happens when you're late!?" He shouted, stomping into the kitchen.

"This didn't happen because I was late, this happened because you're drunk!" I yelled, waving my hands everywhere.

Dad's face was in shock. Did I really just say that? I guess I finally got sick of him blaming everything on me.

Dad grabbed another bottle and threw it on the ground next to my feet, cracking some more tiles.

"I guess that happened because I was drunk also?" He asked, cheekily raising his eyebrows.

I nodded and he rolled his eyes.

"Make yourself useful and pick it up" He demanded, turning around to go sit down again.

"You did it" I objected.

Dad suddenly stopped in his tracks and turned around ever so slowly.

"Well then fucking leave!!" He roared so loud I swear the whole Street heard.

"I will" I grunted stubbornly and ran out into Green Forest.