This young girl came floating home

The roads of Illinois was filled with many broken buildings, fallen trees and pedestrians shuffling soberly home. Every now and then the sound of someone wailing could be heard, breaking the monotonous sound of footsteps. The crowd always turned in such moments towards the sound and shook their head, murmuring a quick prayer before continuing on their way.

     Vera floated through the crowd, pulling Erha along with her. She tried not to think of what might have happened to their house, she didn't want to disturb the inner peace that she had finally gotten. She felt in her heart a  crystallization of saintly joy that was so complete that her head nearly spun

     Erha's brows were knitted in confusion, she had seen for a moment a figure that looked like her mother among the crowd but it was gone before she could be sure.

     "Are we calling mom today? " Erha asked

      "No, tomorrow" Vera replied in a tone that said "that is final"

      "I thought I saw her just now," Erha said, scratching an itch on her cheek

      "Erha, that's cause you want to see her," Vera said "we'll see her soon, don't worry "

     Grumbling, Erha decided to let the matter rest. Even though she was still confused, she knew there was no use in beating the proverbial dead horse

    "So.... tell me a story," Erha asked her sister, well prepared to receive the usual "no" but banking on the one percent chance that Vera would actually tell her.

     "No,"  vera said before changing her mind

     They strode on as Vera told erha a story she knew very well. Their house soon came into view and in the golden light of the evening sun, she noted with joy that it was untouched by the terrible weather.

     "So did they now die," Erha asked her sister just as vera unlocked the door

      "I don't know "Vera replied "but I don't think they will"

       The door opened with a creak and vera and erha stepped in locking it behind them, ignorant of what awaited them inside.