Chapter nine

We stopped only when the sun began to set, near a large cliff, and I found myself glancing over to where Zai stood at the wheel, talking to Faxon. It seemed that whatever he was saying was pissing Zai off, which seemed to be a normal occurrence.

She shoved him, saying something that probably amounted to "piss off," before she turned and began heading down the stairs.

I met her at the bottom.

She blinked, actually taking a step back, as if she hadn't seen me.

"Our lesson?" I asked.

"O-oh. You... still want to do it?"

"Yes. Is that a problem?"

"No. No, no, no," she said quickly. "It's not a problem; I just thought..." She looked around at all of the men standing around us. They didn't look like they were listening, but I didn't doubt all of them were. "Never mind. Let's wait for these bastards to clear out. Maybe we can do some sword practice before the sailing lesson."

I nodded. "I'd like that."

And so, we waited while the crew began to file down the ladder to the sleeping quarters. Faxon was the last one down, and I'd swear I saw him wink at Zai just before he closed the trapdoor.

* * *

Sword fighting was hard, I discovered.

Not only was the wooden practice sword heavy as all hell, but I had to memorize a dozen different combinations of movements that ranged between slashing and ducking. After hours of practicing, my sword arm was so sore I couldn't lift the weapon without it shaking.

I sat slumped against the railing near the wheel, panting.

"I think that's enough for one night," Zai said from where she stood a few feet away, stretching, completely unbothered by the moves she'd demonstrated for me multiple times.

Snowfall sat to my right, looking at me with amusement.

"Whatever," I muttered. "I'd like to see you try it."

I'd swear she rolled her eyes in response.

Zai laughed softly and stepped forward, holding out a hand to me. "Come on; get up. I still have to teach you how to map the stars."

I groaned but took her hand, allowing her to pull me to my feet. And I'd swear she held my hand just a second longer than she needed to.

"So, where did we leave off?"

"You told me about the boot," I answered.

"Yes, and then what?"

"I don't know. Something about another constellation to the south."

"Look at that; you remembered," she said. "You know, for someone who chose to have these lessons, you really don't act like you actually care to learn anything. Save the sword fighting."

I didn't miss the hidden question in that statement. "I... Well..."

"You don't have to take these lessons if you don't want to," she said. "You wouldn't hurt my feelings, you know."

"I, I know, it's just..." I sighed. "I really like your company," I admitted. "I feel so out of place here. And the crew, for the most part, have been very kind, but I just don't feel like I fit in with them. But with you, I don't feel that way."

She gave a small smile. "That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me."

I frowned. "Then I clearly need to say more nice things to you." I took a step closer, taking her hands in mine, and I'd swear she wasn't breathing as I said, "You are beautiful, Zai Ambercrest."