Cold Tropical Waters

Alas, even Christmas didn't stop Pure Vanilla. The Durianeers wouldn't stop retaking islands, and it was becoming tiring to get them back. It was like a tug-of-war.

Pure Vanilla decided taking over every last island would push the Durianeers away for good. That way they could leave the islands under Mango Cookie's care. 

Espresso and Madeleine were asked by Pure Vanilla to help, along with Hollyberry and Sorbet Shark Cookie. They set sail for the last few islands. With their upgraded toppings, their levels maxed out by star candies and their weapons readied for battle, there was no way they could lose. Right?

**************

After tedious amounts of battling, the last island was the only thing they had to take care of now. It was very big, and Pure Vanilla said it might be the Durianeers hideout, so they had to take every last one of them out. Sorbet Shark was OoooOOooing in excitement, but was sad when he realised that he might not get to see the wonderful beaches again. Mango Cookie told him not to fret, he could always visit when he wanted to.

The last island had burn-marks along the beach, making the sand black with ash. The heat was unbearable, mainly because the cookies were still in winter back home. The Durianeers threw everything they had at them, cannons, ships, rubber duckies. The heat was getting closer and warmer, practically turning the poor cookies into over-baked, unusable cookies.

The reason for the heat became clearer as they approached a massive volcano, surrounded by a lake, leading to the endless ocean. The Durianeer Leader, Stink-Eye Tortuca, stood above the lava, on his wooden platform. 

"Ahoy, mateys. You've taken every last island. Killed every last one of my men. You cookies are resilient, for sure."

"You pillaged every last one of these islands. The people live in fear over you! You deserve it!"

"Arrrr, but I still control this island! You cannot stop the might o' Tortuca!" Tortuca cocked his gun.

Espresso used his magic to hold Tortuca back, whilst Madeleine used his sword's divine light to hit him from afar. Sorbet soaked the Turtle in water, and Hollyberry pushed him back even more.

Tortuca shot at them, but Hollyberry and Madeleine's shields stopped the bullets from harming the cookies behind. 

"GRAAAGH! YOU COOKIES WON'T LIVE TO TELL THE TALE!" He hid in his shell and spun around at full speed towards the Cookies.

"Light, protect me!" Madeleine rushed in to protect his friends from the oncoming spinning turtle.

He protected them.

At a cost.

He was flung off the second Tortuca stopped. He flew past the volcano's rocky exterior, and into the jungle. His Shield and Sword flying behind him. His screams growing fainter and fainter.

"MADELEINE!" Espresso cried out. 

"We will find him soon, get Stink-Eye! He's weakened!" Hollyberry shouted, but to no avail, it didn't stop Espresso. He ran off to find Madeleine. 

Through the thick leaves and tall trunks, Espresso desperately searched. All the villagers were crowding around him on the beaches, and the animals trying to thank him in the jungles. At last he reached a small oasis in the thick part of the jungle, on the other side of the volcano. Madeleine lay, bleeding red icing, and his clothes pierced by the spikes from Tortuca's spiky shell. 

"Madeleine! M-Madeleine! Are you alright?? Oh, Pure Vanilla, Pure Vanilla! He's here! Help!" Espresso screamed in desperation and fear he'd lose Madeleine.

Madeleine's eyes were half closed and fading like a burn-out star. His hair ruined and wet, and his armour bloody and shattered. His sword was clean and intact, but his shields broken into a puzzle, and wet with blood. 

"Madeleineeee! Maaaddeelineeee!!! Arrreeeee yoouuu ookkkkaaayyyyy?" 

Madeleine could barely hear Espresso, his speech was slurred, and his ears hurt and listening was difficult. He just wanted to protect his friends, and now at the cost of his life, potentially? 

He felt cold. Water rushed into his ears, and there was screaming from more voices, oh god, it hurt. His wounds stung from the salty waters.

Espresso, I'm sorry. I just wanted to protect...you...