-1-

"Mom, if I'd known we were moving to Alaska I would've upgraded my wardrobe."

"Lucas sweetie don't be such a whiner, it's only 25 degrees."

"Only 25 degrees? You mean it gets worse than this? My god where are we?"

My mother just laughed. Being from Minnesota she had no issues with the cold. I on the other hand have only ever known the warm sunshine in L.A., so this is quite possibly the worst place for me.

"Lucas trust me, you're gonna love it here. Just stay out of West Duluth, dress warm and you'll be fine." she said to me as she grabs a box out of the moving truck, handing it off to me.

"Mom there is absolutely nothing to do here, I spent the entire trip over here googling and the only things that came up are basically nature walks. I mean what am I supposed to do every day here for the rest of high school?" I mean seriously does she think they can just move me 2,076 miles into this frozen wasteland and everything would be fine?

"Lucas no need for the dramatic meltdown, I mean you seriously sound like a girl on her period right now." my father joked. He's been carrying in everything heavy to prove his manhood. Which is actually 100% fine by me, my manhood prefers the lazy route.

"Hey you watch your mouth mister." my mom playfully scolded, though I'm sure there's some seriousness behind the glint in her eyes.

"Awe honey I'm sorry, I'm sure periods are just awful to go through." my father looks down at her while he wraps his arm around her shoulders.

"You don't know the half of it."

"Alright gross and gross. Can we get this thing over with so I can at least be inside and warm while I suffer through the next 2 years?" I said with a huff.
Wow this box is getting heavy. I read the top, labelled 'silverware'. Ok maybe my manhood needs to kick it up a notch after all.

"Don't worry Lucas, I just know you're gonna meet some new friends and have amazing experiences." my mom smiled.

Yeah, one can only hope.

knock knock

"Lucas sweetie could you get the door? We've got quite the mess going on in the kitchen at the moment!"

"Sure mom!" I shouted as I approached the door. "Not like I'm busy going through a premature midlife crisis or anything...." I mumbled.

Opening the door I am faced with a very large man. 3-4 inches taller than I and triple times more muscular. Black hair highlighted with silver and matching facial scruff. His eyes dark as well, everything about him looked dark. Even his smile, that was probably meant to appear kind, felt somehow dark.

"Um may we help you?" my voice croaked, slightly intimidated I shifted my weight.

"Yes, hi I am your next door neighbor Dr. Arthur Matlin." his voice even felt demanding.
"I saw you guys arrive earlier and I thought it was time I introduced myself."

Ya, like we were just waiting for you to come grace us with your presence. I've never understood the whole greet your new neighbors way of thinking. Maybe it's a midwestern politeness thing.

"Uh yes hello. Nice to meet you." As I've said, I'm not really sure how to do this.

"You're a shy one aren't you son?" he chuckled.

I actually do not think I was being shy at all but ok sir, think what you want when people don't jump for joy over you saying hello.