Chapter Sixty-Three

"Hmmmm... good morning my love" Maya yawned and stretched her arms about her head.

"Morning" Carina croaked, she held onto her neck stroking it softy around her throat.

Maya leaned over to kiss her but Carina held her hand up to stop her, "What?" Maya asked confused.

Carina coughed a little and winced, "Don't kiss me, I don't feel to good"

"What's wrong babe?" Maya felt Carina's forehead, "You're a little warm"

Carina tried to swallow but coughed when she tried. She felt her throat again and pulled a face. "My throats swollen, I can't swallow" her voice was horse and raw.

"Do you have a headache? Ear ache?" Maya asked softly.

Carina closed her eyes and nodded her head slightly, "Yeah" she whispered.

"Okay, let me check your throat". Maya jumped out of bed and ran to Carina's medical bag bringing it back over. She grabbed the torch, "Open your mouth baby"

Carina managed to open her mouth wide enough for Maya to see, "I'm no doctor,  Doctor, but it looks swollen"

"Is it white? White dots?"

Maya checked again, "Looks that way baby". She sat back down next to Carina and pulled her in, she kissed her head softly, "Tonsillitis right?" Maya asked.

Carina let out a little groan and nodded, "I've had a sore throat for a few days but it was nothing and now-" she cough, "Now it really hurts".

The little fire Captain ran her fingers through Carina's bed head, "What do you need? What can I do?"

Carina snuggled herself into Maya as she started to shiver, "I want you to hold me but I don't want you to catch it"

Maya let out a cute little laugh, "Carina baby, have you forgot about what we did last night? Me and my tongue was all up in you, I probably licked your tonsils".

Carina slapped Maya and groaned, "Bambina!"

She squeezed Carina tight and laughed, "I'm not wrong"

Carina pushed Maya away and groaned, "Go make me soup and I need pain killers"  

"Yes Ma'am" she winked and jumped out of bed.

Maya opened the tin of soup and placed it in the microwave to warm up.

It had been a few days since the party, Maya wasn't coping the best. She would often wake up with nightmares, flinging her body around in the process, like she was trying to fight... often hitting Carina.

She leaned on the island and stared at the front door, Imagining what she would do if Jack did happen to come in. She felt scared of him, her body tensed up. But why was she scared of him? She had never had a good male in her life, they would always leave or abuse her. Her father mentally and physically abuseing her her whole life ended up dying on her watch. If she and Carina broke up for good, she would lose Andrew. She barely knew her brother. A 13 year old little boy was basically all she had... but he shouldn't have to look after her or be worried.

These thoughts spiralled around her mind making her deeper into her internal panic until the microwave going off for the forth time snapped her out of it.

She took a deep breath and wiped her eyes, she quickly splashed some cold water over her face to calm herself down.

A while later Maya returned carrying a tray, Carina curled herself up in bed snuggled in the blankets, "I'm so cold" she whispered.