Chapter 51: Parallels and Meridians Two

"Maybe the Universe pitied her. Maybe true love really was stronger than anything. Whatever it was, in that terrible morning, when everything seemed lost, the Heart of Kandrakar did something unexpected (...)"

The three dragons that attacked the village under Zorarose's control caused massive panic and chaos. Two wingless green ones and one dark blue with sharp horns and big bat-like wings. The creatures were as big as a medium two-story house in suburbia. They terrified and destroyed everything and everyone in their way. And the dust-like combustible substance Zorarose threw out of her satchels, reacted with the fire, creating the strong explosions that had broken the heavy door of the hut down in the first place. The rebels were caught by surprise. Their creatures weren't anywhere near, and their best warriors were all either drunk or away. No one had expected for Zorarose to find their secret village, which was protected by the Mage's magic. No one, but the smug Queen who observed everything being demolished beneath her.

"One of you has been distracted enough to allow themselves be followed by her through the protective spells and shields! That's the only way for her to find us!"- Nerissa was beside herself as she gave hasty, but clear orders to the rebels. "You, douse the fires! Attack the dragons with poison bombs, do not launch sharp objects at them, their scales are too thick. You, get reinforcements. Now! Go, go!"

"Not so smug now, are you, Mage?"- the Queen laughed from atop, making Nerissa grit her teeth even harder. "It was like a ball for you to destroy my plantations, but without Avani, without your trained creatures and caught by surprise, you're unable to resist the attack. You will fall tonight!"

Nerissa didn't say anything, she just conjured a rain of electric arrows that she sent as her eloquent reply. Zorarose managed to avoid them all...

The dragons whelmed everything in their way in fire and their mistress blew anything she could to pieces, mercilessly, as she was determined as she balanced on the head of the biggest dragon. She was determined to destroy the biggest rebel base once and for all.

"Hey, Zorax!"- Irma yelled as she came from the sky, driving a giant water sphere, the size of an ice rink, after herself. "Take this, you cunt!"

The intense water doused the fires and pushed the dragons back, but they didn't lose balance. Only Zorarose did, overwhelmed by the wave, she slid down the winged one's body and fell to the ground. For a second, it looked as though she was defeated, but when the Latina attempted to grab her, things took a different turn. Irma screamed and was sent flying back, crashing into the roof of one house; the wing of the dragon had pushed her back before she could get to the Queen, who jumped back on her feet, throwing more bombarding dust towards Nerissa.

"Hey, when is Avani coming back?"- Will managed to ask as she and the previous guardian of quintessence flew up together, escaping the dragons' attacks and managing to launch ones of their own.

The rebels attacked with their weapons in hands; the Queen's people were still not entering the battle scene, as they didn't want to get fried by the three dragons and their fire breath.

"She was supposed to be here already. She was traveling back from Touris Filney."- Nerissa replied and then gave her a sign to lay low again. They both hid behind one big fallen tree.

"But we have to get rid of Zorarose at once."- the Mage hissed. "Before she has destroyed everything here."

"We're low on power. The Heart's acting up as usual when we're divided, and you only have that charm bracelet..."- Will shook her head. Nerissa gave her the stink eye. "We may need Cornelia..."

"No, we won't."- Nerissa interrupted her. "The Heart's not "acting up", you just don't know how to use its powers properly! After all these years, it's just a- "