Chapter 16: Open wounds&Red-letters

My heart cannot be, without you under the star sea,
I want you and just you, my open wound.

Joan Lin watched her daughter carry the last of her suitcases out the door of her childhood bedroom. She didn't know what it was, but something about Hay Lin's sudden resolve gave her funny feelings. Yes, she was aware that her daughter had wanted to move out for the longest time, but she couldn't wrap her mind around why she had so firmly decided on it now, right before her so favorite western holiday season.

Yes, Joan had the intelligence of an average woman with secondary education, who had come to the states at the age of 15, but her instincts were strong. And her instincts right now were telling her that something had happened in her daughter's life, and it wasn't necessarily a happy occasion.

She knew Chen refused to come out of the kitchen to see Hay Lin out, unable to cope with the fact that she was a fully-grown young lady. Her mother-in-law was also nowhere to be seen, which Joan found a tad odd, but didn't have time to think about. She had to follow her only child and see her leave their family nest. It was a bittersweet moment. But that funny feeling refused to leave her and when the mother saw the car parked in front of their restaurant, she had to speak up:

"Hay Lin? I thought you were moving in with Eric?"

Martin looked over at his girlfriend, but Irma didn't lose time. While Hay Lin remained completely motionless, she took the initiative to sweet-talk the older woman, or much rather just outtalk her:

"Yeaaah, Mrs. Lin, Hay Lin is coming to live with us for a while, it's a long story, really, we shouldn't go in circles, trying to wrap our minds around it. Especially you! Gosh darn it, it would take you forever to understand the situation. Not that I'm saying that you're a half-wit or something. You're totally the brain in your marriage, but you couldn't make it to the observatory the other day and hence you couldn't have known- "

"Thank God for that."- Martin murmured under his nose, as he put Hay Lin's luggage in the truck.

Irma turned around to shoot a poisonous glare at him before going on:

"...but due to the whole entire Astrofest hullabaloo, it just wouldn't be convenient for anyone if Hay Lin moved in. Right now, I mean. She'll spend some time with us, then she'll gladly be accepted in the Lyndons' family home!"

The light snow was falling above the city. The low afternoon sun was hidden behind thick clouds and Hay Lin wished that what her friend was lying about would actually someday happen; three days had passed already though. Eric was still taking his time after the iceberg of bad-timed revelations, turns of events and unpleasantness in general, that had come between them, had threatened to destroy their relationship for good. Three days weren't that much time, but her heart was in pain the entire time, making the air guardian feel each and every minute spent away from the man she loved, like eternity.

"Alright then."- Joan spoke, though, by her expression, Irma didn't exactly believe she was buying it. "Hay Lin, my sweet child. Bye. Go on your way and remember that wherever life takes you, you'll always be welcome here with us. In our first home. Love you, sweetie."

Her mother's hug almost had her emotions overpower her again, but somehow the young woman managed to bid her goodbyes without bursting into tears. Hay Lin got in Martin's car and they soon drove off the familiar street, heading for the man's apartment nearby. A living space that he and Irma shared.

'43, Linden Street', on which Martin's apartment building was located, the first residence he had bought for himself with his own money a few years back, wasn't that far away from the Silver Dragon, yet her friends had come to pick her up with the car in accordance with the transportation of her suitcases, and Hay Lin was grateful for it. She really appreciated all their support and love, yet that wouldn't make her feel better. Not before her relations with Eric were mended.