Chapter 9: Path of Escape

NARRATOR POV

Hajime: Damn it, why isn't it there...

It has been three days since he killed the Talon Bear and reunited with Jin and Emiliana. They had been searching for the route leading to the upper floors and had already finished exploring eighty percent of this level.

Furthermore, ignoring the strange dungeon, the method of directly creating a path upstairs through transmutation had already been tried. In the end, no matter whether it was upwards or downwards, he found out that after advancing to a certain extent, somehow the walls become unresponsive to transmutation.

Hajime: ... Dead end huh. The branches have all been searched. What the heck is this? Sigh~

Hajime let out a deep sigh while resigning himself that a path up couldn't be found. Then, he headed towards the room where they discovered the stairs leading down two days ago.

Emiliana: You sure are impatient?

Hajime only gave her a side glance.

Hajime: The faster I get out of here, the faster I can get home.

They made it to the staircase and which was extremely poorly constructed. From that point on, there were no longer any Green Light Stones, plunging the area ahead in complete darkness and oozing an ominous aura. It was like looking into the mouth of an enormous monster.

Hajime: Ha~! Bring it on! Whatever it is, if it hinders me, Kill and Devour.

The corners of his lips curved into a fearless smile. Then, he stepped into the darkness without any hesitation. Jin and Emiliana who still stood at the top of the staircase looked at him strangely.

This level was very dark. It's natural for an underground dungeon, but all the levels that he had been to so far had Green Light Stones, and though those levels were dim, it was not so much that he couldn't even see ahead.

Stopping for a little while, Hajime was expecting his eyes to somewhat get used to seeing in the dark, but no matter how long passed, there were no differences.

Jin walked past Hajime with Emiliana next to him.

Jin: Just follow behind us.

Hajime looked at him as if he was an idiot, even if he followed behind, he still couldn't see a foot in front of him. He took out the Green Light Stone to serve as a lamp from the improvised backpack he made with transmuted wires from the Talon Bear's fur.

Hajime: How are you able to see in the dark?

Emiliana: It's an ability of ours.

After progressing for a while, curiosity got the best of Hajime.

Hajime: What abili-

He suddenly felt an unpleasant presence from his left. He instantly jumped back and pointed the Green Light Stone toward the presence. There was a gray lizard approximately two meters in length stuck to the wall, glaring at Hajime with its golden eyes.

Those golden eyes flashed momentarily and in the next instant...

Along with a cracking sound, Hajime's left arm began to petrify. The petrification immediately spread to the Green Light Stone as well and within seconds, there was a creaking noise as it completely shattered. With the light source gone, darkness set upon the area once again.

The Lizard turned its gaze to Emiliana but there was no effect, it seemed to have been confused seeing that she was not being petrified by its gaze. It turned to Jin with the same results of nothing happening. It was quite confused and dumbfounded seeing that its petrification was not working on the two humans.