Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Our feet slammed into the asphalt again and again as we ran for our lives from a pack of Australian mammals with mad dog disease.

For the record, this is not how I wanted this night to end up.

Add the fact that half of us were running in heels or wedges. Darcy had ditched her wedges long ago, Betty was briskly jogging in her three inch heels, Jane (luckily) was wearing flats, and Natasha and I were both wearing kitten heels and running as fast as we could.

"How long can we keep this up?" Darcy pants from behind Betty.

"How long do we need to?" I shout back.

"Until we see help or the rabid things tire out or flop over and die!" I'm jealous that Natasha's voice is steady like she's been doing this for thirty seconds, not what must be closer to thirty minutes.

"Wonderful." Jane's voice shakes, both with fear and exhaustion.

I turn my eyes to the sky, praying that the hawk-like sight of my boyfriend came after he started archery.

Nothing.

But I do spot an abandoned warehouse off in the back of a small side street.

"Head down this road to the warehouse! Move it!"

We all eventually make it to the shady concrete building, diving inside just as the rabid pack stampedes past us.

I untangle myself from the pile that we ended up in on the musty, moldy floor as take a look around our temporary hidey hole.

And come face to face with the barrel of a gun. Held by the shaking hands on a yellow toothed, red eyed hobo-looking person with drugs on his breath.

I put my hands us and motion for the rest of the group to do the same as we back up a few slow steps.

"Hey, hey, let's not do anything crazy, dude." I can feel Natasha's gaze on my back and trust in my hands.

"W-who are you fellas?" Hobo dude asks with chattering teeth and twitchy eyes.

"Us? We're just heroes." Faster than anyone can blink, I have my gun drawn and a shot blasted into the guy's forehead.

Everyone watches in stunned shock as the guy falls to the cement floor, dead before he hits the ground.

Betty is the first to regain her voice. "...Did you just kill an innocent civilian?"

I shake my head as I walk over towards the pile of blanket covered boxes behind the guy. "No, I did not. Look."

I throw back the blankets to reveal cubes of plastic wrapped green drugs (most likely weed) and Ziploc bags filled with white powders.

Natasha lets out a low whistle as she sees what I uncovered. "And you knew that was there how?"

I shrug. "A little bit of instinct and a little 'hey, something smells weird.'"

Natasha nods and returns to the cooling body to pat him down and search for an ID.

"Eureka! Joseph Petiori. He has twenty two countries hunting for him as of right now. He is in the top five Most Wanted on five of those, including the US."

Darcy lets out a bitter chuckle. "Well, now I can check off 'Unknowingly take down a drug lord' off my bucket list."

I smile as Jane speaks up for the first time. "How are we going to report this? We can't use our phones and we can't afford to wait until we get out of the dead zone."