001

BEIGNETS
_______________

E v e r y b o d y l o v e s t h e s u n s h i n e - ♫

" YOU CAN'T LET WHAT YOU GO THROUGH DEFINE YOU AS WHO YOU ARE
YOU GET TO CHOOSE "
_____________

September 1 2021
p r e s e n t

g a s i r a
_______

Never thought I'd miss the hood so much. Seeing all these people happy isn't what I'm used to seeing. Everyone's hugging one another and some are hugging and telling there loved ones goodbye.

'CAN'T RELATE AT ALL..

p l a y

The music that's playing reminds me of when Mar and I would actually go to family reunions. Yeah, that type of music. It all seemed so fake and unrealistic. The actions of black people solemnizing peacefully is something I haven't witnessed without gunshots going off. This is the environment I have to adapt to I guess. I know it would be a drastic change but I'm just curious as to how this drastic change....will change me.

'I HOPE..

I glance to the left and see my brother two-stepping with the crowd of people. I guess he's already adapted to his surroundings as it is.

Amaru has always been the type to get along with anyone. He knew reality and he knew the crowd. He was less sheltered than me. Something I sadly didn't know too much about. It's always been like that since I was a toddler. He'd try his best and protect me from the world and it's problems but being that young and curious, I wasn't the best listener. Now that I was a better listener I didn't want him watching after me anymore. I liked knowing that the world was in my hands.

He looked at me and smirked slowly. He reached his hands out for me. I shook my head apprehensively not wanting to risk getting out of my comfort zone. He paused and looked at me with this dumb look he always gives me when I'm being uncooperative. I rolled my eyes and found myself slowly strolling towards him. "I hope you don't think I'm about to dance with you," I said, crossing my arms.

"Oh come on, enjoy being in a place where you don't hear gunshots and you don't have to duck every 50 minutes," He said two-stepping again. I had to admit his felicity made me happy but my main focus was on getting my stuff into the dorm before my roommates. "I'm just gonna go find mah' luggage in da' luggage room and get settled, ight?" I said letting my Nola accent hit the air. "You sure you don't wanna party," He asked, grabbing my hands swaying me side to side to the music.

I was actually enjoying the vibe. The sweet smell of barbecue, seeing all types of people dancing together, laughter and happiness. It was all so unbelievable and pleasurable, but these things don't last forever.

'AT LEAST IN REALITY..

"Nah, now is not the time for me to have fun. This is the environment I'm going to stay in for half of my life, which I don't know if I'm going to like either. Can I at least make sure I'm comfortable with my room," I said letting go of his hands. "Aw'ight maine. Well, meet me at the skybox at 6:30. Don't be late," He said reassuring me letting his accent slip out from in between his lips. I nodded and made my way over in front of the lounge. Everything was huge. They had big staircases and pictures of our mascot everywhere.