Chapter 9: Presents

February 2nd, X817

Calypso jolted awake.

A searing pain erupted in her abdomen.

'S***. Here we go again.'

Her intestines twisted as the sensation rose up her body.

It reached her stomach, violently churning it.

Stomach acid erupted up her esophagus.

In the dark, the teenager threw herself out of bed and rushed to the door.

She threw it open and darted through the dark hall into the next room over.

Without turning on the light she opened up a lid.

A second later, she vomited out the pain.

Cal took a deep breath and held it as her abdomen tightened.

Her clenched jaw threatened to break her teeth.

She squeezed waterfalls out of her eyes.

Small grunts and squeals escaped her throat.

After a minute, everything was released.

The girl gasped for air.

She reached out and pushed a lacrima, flushing away the acidic lava.

Her long, shaky legs stood themselves up. The wool stockings threatened to slide on the tile. They staggered back into the bedroom, fighting against her calf-length nightgown. Callie hobbled over to a nightstand and grabbed a small rectangular prism.

She staggered back to the bathroom. A moment later she collapsed to her knees. The abdominal explosion happened again. It forced up more vomit.

Once everything subsided, she activated the prism. The numbers 6:14 glowed on the blinding screen. A sigh of relief escaped her lips.

Callie navigated to the messaging app. It pulled up a list of conversations. She tapped the top one that said "Best Friend". On the keyboard, she pulled up a list of most-commonly typed phrases. She selected It's here at the top, and hit send. She went to the next conversation with "Minverva" and repeated the action. Finally, she opened up the messages with "Dad" and sent the message.

She deactivated the prism just as the volcano inside erupted once more.

Suddenly, the light turned on and a figure knelt beside her.

"Callie? Is there anything I can do for you?" a deep, gentle voice soothed.

The teenager waited until the lava simmered down and looked up.

Rogue's shaggy hair sprung everywhere. Deep circles pulled down his red eyes. His black turtleneck and black sweatpants were heavily wrinkled.

"Water, please," she groaned.

Her father softly smiled and rubbed her shoulder.

"I'll be right back."

Like a shadow he darted away.

"Fro will help Callie get better."

The teenager watched a frog costume bounce over to her. Its eyes watered and spun.

Callie gave a weak smile. She wiped her tears on her black nightgown's long sleeve with one arm. With the other, she scooped up the frog-Exceed into a hug.

"Th-thanks, Frosch."

A shadow blob appeared with a glass of water.

Rogue knelt down and handed it to her.