Chapter One: My Life

I've always been a happy, bubbly, girl all growing up. My name is Alessia Starr Priore. I live with my father Luke, my mother Brea, and my older brother, Cameron. We live in a small, modest house on the outskirts of Sandiego, California. It's a more isolated and preferable place in the hills compared to the busy city.

I have grown up all my life in Sandiego, although I have visited a few other states, but not many. It's my third day into my summer break, all the stress of school now melting away with the relief that I finally don't have to worry about it for a few months. I love going to the beach to surf. I brush my blond hair out of my eyes. It shimmers in the sunlight before the waves crash over me. The warm feeling of the sun on my tanned face has always been comforting. Yes, this is my favorite thing to do. I like to always come here so I can clear my head, temporarily forget about what's going on in my life. The feeling of being free, now that my Sophomore year of school is over, is exhilarating. I'll be sixteen in a few days now. It's funny how the years seem to fly by faster and faster the older you get.

I suddenly jump as my phone buzzes on the beach towel next to me. Oh no! Mom! I had totally lost track of time this afternoon. I quickly finish drying my hair before I get up, put my flip-flops on, then start sprinting towards the bus stop with my teal, henna surfboard in tow. I lazily flip my beach bag over my shoulder as a bus comes to a stop and the doors fly open. This is my favorite bus as I know the driver well.

"Hi, Bill!" I greet him with my usual smile.

"Hey, little missy. Goin' home I assume?" He shut the doors behind me as I took my usual seat just behind him.

"Yessir!"

Half an hour later, I walked up to my house and opened the door to find my mom setting the table for dinner.

"Have you really been at the beach this whole time?" She looked at me skeptically. She may have tried to seem serious and stern, but I could tell she had been worried and was now relieved.

"Yes, ma'am. I was surfing and just lost track of time," I say as if I didn't regret anything, even if a punishment were to come my way. It's worth it. The beach is always worth it.

"Well, okay, I just worry about you sometimes. You know how your father hates for any one of us to be out alone these days. And also, he should be home within ten minutes."

My mom really did have that worried look in her eyes, but I knew what my mom was talking about. My father has been really protective over the last few years. Maybe even a little overprotective. But I guess most fathers are that way, right? My dad is the type of guy who works mostly 24/7. We only really see him on the weekends because his business job takes him all over the world. He is a tradesman that goes to different countries to try and get people to buy his business' goods and insurance. Whatever that's supposed to be. I can kind of understand why he is gone so much, although, I always really miss him. Nights like these are always looked forward to as we wait for him to walk through the door.

Being as excited as I am, I dash up the stairs to the second level of our condo and walk down the hall and into a doorway on the right that leads into my 'beachy', aesthetic room. The room is a bright teal color with some white and coral colors here and there. The walls are covered with posters representing celebrity surfers, such as Bethany Hamilton and Stephanie Gilmore. My idols in the surfing world. I have a big white dresser along one wall, it's shelves are lined with books and books and even more books. And okay, yes, I do have a few seashells to complement them. I'm not a complete book nerd! When I don't spend my time surfing you can almost always find me reading or at a volleyball tournament.

I quickly strip myself of my bathing suit and find a new pair of shorts in my dresser and threw on a white tank top to join them. I started braiding my hair as I heard a door open and close downstairs. Right after I hear someone yell "I'm home!"