Chapter 3

DECEMBER

Y/n sood by the door of a bedroom and sniffed a baseball glove as Jim hammered in a picture.

"Darling?" Jim asked. "There isn't any way we can, for sure, what's it's going to be, is there?"

"I'm afraid not." Darling sighed, as she wrote on a piece of paper. Y/n put her paws on the table and looked at the baby name's she wrote down. "Nobody ever knows for certain. All we can do is hope."

~

JANUARY

Jim walked down the stairs with his rope on and in his pajamas. Y/n stood up from her dog bed and watched as Jim opened the door and snow flew into the house.

"Darling, are you sure you want watermelon?" Jim asked. Y/n realized that this is exactly what Aizawa told her about. Darling hummed from upstairs.

"Oh, and some chopsuey, too." Darling added to her list.

"Chopsu-" Jim exclaimed but cut himself off. "All right, honey."

~

FEBRUARY

Y/n observed all the gifts of dolls, rattles, and lots of baby toys. Woman giggled and gushed all around her as she sniffed a pair of socks.

"That's the cutest thing I have ever seen."

"What darling little booties."

"That bonnet."

"Isn't it just too adorable?"

"Don't you love showers?"

Y/n slithered her way through all the women.

"Darling, I've never seen you look more beautiful."

"Isn't she absolutely radiant?"

"Radiant. That's just what I told Bill yesterday. "Bill," I said, "Darling looks radiant, positively radiant. Why, in all my days," I said, "I've never seen anyone as radiant.""

Y/n pushed her way through the women when she heard men laughing from the other room.

"Jim, you look terrible."

"Absolutely horrible."

"I have never seen you look worse."

"Cheer up, Jim. Old Doc Jones has never lost a father yet."

The men roared into laughter, and Y/n walked out of the room, and huffed as she sat on her bed.

~

APRIL

Thunder rumbled outside of the house. Jim held the phone to his ear and said into it, with his dog next to his hip and wagging her tail.

"Yes, Aunt Karen, it's a girl." Jim cheered. "Uh-uh, a girl. And what's that? Eyes? What color are they? Well, oh, gosh. I forgot to look."

Jim dropped the phone and ran back upstairs. Y/n went to run after him when she heard the woman talk.

"Hello? Hello, Jim? Are you there, Jim? Central, we've been cut off. Hello? Hello? Hello."

~

(Play Song)

A baby crying filled the small house as Y/n looked at the shiny baby bottles.

"What is a baby?" Y/n thought to herself, and started to sing in her head. "I just can't understand."

Y/n walked to the bottom of the stairs as the baby quieted down.

"It must be something wonderful, It must be something grand, 'Cause everybody's smiling, In a kind and wistful way."

The dog slowly made her way up the stairs.

"And they haven't even noticed, That I'm around today."

Jim whistled as he walked down the stairs, with a tray of milk and tea and passed by Y/n, without even looking at her.

"What is a baby, anyway?" She asked herself, she heard the baby gurgling and continued up. "What is a baby? I must find out today, What makes Jim Dear and Darling, act this way?"

She slowly pushed the door with her nose and her ears filled with a baby cooing at her mother.

"La-loo, La-loo, Oh, my little star sweeper, I'll sweep that stardust, For you." Darling sang to her baby and rocked her back and forth. Y/n crept under a table and looked at the singing mother. "Little soft fluffy sleeper, Here comes a pink cloud for you. La-loo, la-loo, little wandering angel. Fold up your wings, Close your eyes."

Jim softly chuckled as he saw Y/n's tail rapidly wagging under the table. He reached under the table and slowly pulled her out by her collar and towards the crib.

"And may love be your keeper," Y/n looked down at the baby and saw the girl's sleeping face and smiled.

"There, now. Little star sweeper. Dream on." Darling whispered and smiled up at her husband. They looked down at Y/n and started to pet her and kiss her forehead.