Chapter 8: Invasive Questions and Embarrassing Admissions.

Alana waited until Tinsley caught up to her before bursting into giggles. She triumphantly held up the phone, waving the glowing screen in Tinsley's direction. "Too late. I already texted her."

Without hesitation, Tinsley lunged forward, her eyes wide with panic, and snatched her phone back with an audible huff. Her eyes darted across the screen, scanning Scarlett's message before a horrified squeak escaped her lips at Alana's innuendo-laced response. Her face heated up as she imagined Scarlett reading it. Oh god, what was Scarlett going to think? How would she interpret it?

    6:00 PM

Scarlett

I'm coming over to make sure you're icing that ankle and getting your rest. No excuses, clumsy. See you soon :)

Tinsley

Can't wait for my personal nurse to arrive. I'll be ready and waiting! 😉

Delivered

Beside her, Alana's laughter started up again. Tinsley shot her an incredulous look. "Seriously, Alana? I'm gonna kill you. You couldn't have made it a little less....suggestive? And the emoji? Really?"

"You'll thank me later." Alana winked and sauntered off to her room with a smug smile.

Tinsley released an exasperated sigh loud enough to ensure Alana heard it as she walked away. Thank her later? Yeah, right. She felt more inclined to smother her with a pillow instead. Tinsley wished she could be more like Alana, who didn't let things like that bother her. So bold, so carefree. Tinsley envied how easily social interactions came for her and her charming personality.

And speaking of charming people and their personalities, Scarlett was due to arrive within the next 15 minutes.

Tinsley glanced at herself in the reflection of the TV and did a double take, frowning at her appearance. Quickly looking down at herself, she paled and set her phone down on the coffee table. No way she could let Scarlett see her like this. She looked like shit. Hurrying to her room, she discarded her clothes and hastily slipped into something more presentable. She tugged her hair out of its messy bun and brushed it flat, desperately trying to salvage her appearance before Scarlett's arrival.

She was dousing herself in a spray of her best perfume just as the doorbell to the apartment rang. Alana's voice echoed from the hallway. "I'LL GET IT."

"Oh no," Tinsley muttered, carelessly tossing her expensive bottle of perfume towards her bed, praying her aim was still as good as it used to be as she hurried out of her bedroom toward the front door.

Alana made it to the door first, and Tinsley gritted her teeth, trying to keep her voice low so Scarlett couldn't hear it from the other side of the door, "ALANA DON'T! LET M–".

Too late. Tinsley watched as she swung the door open with the most smug smile on her face. Tinsley closed the gap in three strides, thankfully cutting Alana off before she could speak.

"Heyyy Scarlett," Tinsley's voice cracked, and she shot Alana a warning glare before meeting Scarlett's amused eyes. She steadied herself. "Please come in— and excuse my friend, Alana, who will be trying her hardest to embarrass me tonight."

Scarlett's eyes sparkled with pure amusement as she stepped inside. Tinsley shut the door and watched as Scarlett turned to Alana, extending her hand. "It's very nice to meet you, Alana. I can't wait to hear the embarrassing stories."

Unbelievable. She was about to be double-teamed. Tinsley sighed inwardly as Alana's grin grew wider. "Oh, trust me," Alana said, shaking Scarlett's hand. "I've got plenty lined up. Isn't that right, Tinsley?"