Chapter Three

November 6th – An Abandoned Classroom

Hermione slowly opened the door to Harry's abandoned classroom. She saw Harry gazing out one of the tall windows along the far wall.

Hermione closed the door behind her and peered into the dim, cluttered room. The air smelled musty, even with one of the windows left wide open. 'We've got to do something about this mess' she thought. She set her bag down on the old professor's desk, the cleanest area in the room.

Hedwig leapt off her shoulder and flew over to Harry. He turned and smiled "Hi Hermione, thanks for coming" he said as he walked over to the desk.

Hermione was eager for answers. "Have you figured out something to do with the first task? I brought the extra clothes like you asked. What do you need them for? You aren't going to wear them yourself, are you." she said with a single breath.

Harry laughed. "No, it isn't about the task, and I like my own clothes just fine." he said with a slight blush. "It has to do with what I, er Hedwig needs to show you. We, ah, had a bit of an accident with a potion, you see."

She looked him over with concern. "Are you alright, then? Do you need to see Madam Pomfrey? Where did it get on you?" she asked as she rushed to his side.

"I'm fine, Hermione. It was Hedwig that had the accident." Harry raised a hand to intercept another question. "And before you worry, she really is fine as well." Hedwig nodded in agreement from Harry's shoulder.

"What potion was it, then. Oh, Harry you weren't trying to brew on your own, were you?" She glanced around to see if there were any cauldrons in the room.

"No, Hermione, I got this letter from Sirius the other day," He retrieved the letter from his bag and gave it to his eager friend. "He also sent a book and a potion for the animagus transformation. It is apparently Potter family magic."

He glanced over to Hedwig and scratched her head. "There were, er, are some unexpected results, though." he said as Hermione scanned the letter.

"Hedwig and the other post owl got into a bit of a scuffle. I think she's still sore that I won't let her take letters to Sirius." Hedwig turned her head away in a pout, clicking her beak in annoyance.

"Anyway, the post owl knocked over the goblet with Sirius' potion, and it got all over Hedwig."

Hermione looked at the bird carefully. "So what's going on? She looks fine. Stop stalling and get to the point!"

Harry glanced to his familiar. She responded with a "Prek" and feelings of apprehensive resolve. With a nod of her head, Hedwig flew over and landed on the edge of the desk.

With a final nervous "Prek", Hedwig transformed.

"Hello, Hermione."

Hermione stared at the girl in shock. Her thoughts ground to a halt. There was a girl. She was sitting on the edge of the desk where Hedwig was just a moment before. The girl's striking yellow-orange irises grabbed Hermione's attention. The girl had long, wavy white hair with a few black streaks. She was dressed in an enormous, tattered t-shirt that came down almost mid-thigh.

"Ha- Harry? Hedwig just turned into a girl. You see her too, right?" She glanced over to the boy and then back at the girl. She missed the grin on Harry's face.

Harry walked over to his overwhelmed friend and looked into her eyes. "This really is Hedwig." he gestured to the girl. "You know I can sense her location, familiar magic and all. It's how I knew it was her the first time she transformed."