Chapter Four

A Quick Note From Lazarillo

I have skipped or summarized events that occur essentially the same as canon events.

A Broom Closet Interview

Hedwig glared at the disgusting witch that had just shoved them into a closet. The reporter ignored the bird and began asking her wizard some pointed questions.

"Thank you for agreeing to this interview, Mr. Potter. Just a moment," she began. She pulled out a bright green quill and tapped it with her wand. The quill sat straight up on the parchment in her hand and began to quiver, almost as in anticipation.

Mrs. Skeeter turned her attention back to Harry. "Now, how would you say your parents would feel about you entering yourself into this tournament?"

Harry protested "But I didn't enter my name. Someone else put my name into the-"

"There's no need to be modest." she interrupted, "Now, the public wants to know: How did you get your name to come out as the fourth champion?"

"I- I did-" Harry stuttered.

"Perhaps your remarkable familiar was involved?" she added with a pointed look at Hedwig. "Speaking of your familiar, how will having an owl familiar affect your odds of winning this tournament?"

Hedwig watched Mrs. Skeeter's quill with suspicion as it scribbled excitedly across the roll of parchment. She cursed her inability to read.

Rita Skeeter continued. "Are you worried about your owl becoming injured during the competition?"

Harry was spared by the opening of the closet door.

"Ah, I've found our wayward champion. There will be plenty of time for interviews after the ceremony, don't fret." Mr Bagman grinned magnanimously as he gestured to the gathered guests.

Hedwig looked over the other champions. Cedric she knew well enough, though his new attitude towards Harry was disappointing.

The big Durmstang champion was hard to read. He stood with crossed arms and a bored look.

The French witch watched Hedwig with interest. Hedwig always felt a little on edge around her. 'At least Harry has a strong enough will to resist them.' she thought, thinking back to the Bulgarian cheerleaders. She was proud that Harry was the only young man not instantly entranced by their allure.

After the ceremony and photo-shoot, Harry managed to get Mr Olivander alone for a moment.

"Excuse me, sir"

"Yes, Oh. Not a problem with your wand, I trust, Mr. Potter?" the old man asked.

"Ah, No sir, I have a question. About wands, that is." he replied.

"Wands. Yes, I might have an answer on that subject. What is your question, young man?"

"I have a friend that I know isn't a squib, I mean, she has done accidental magic, but she can't get a wand to work."

"Ah, have I met your lady friend, Mr Potter?"

Fortunately, Harry and Artemis had planned a cover story. "No, sir, she is the cousin of a friend. She is from Australia and has only tried family wands. She can't get even the slightest reaction."

"That is a problem, then. It is possible that she is among the small number of wand-blind wizards. On the other hand, it could just be a case of improper wand-matching. Family wands are often still loyal to their previous owner and are unwilling to cooperate even with a close family member." Mr. Olivander paused. "A wandcrafter should have no trouble determining the cause. If your acquaintance should ever find herself in England, I'd be happy to assist her."