Chapter 3 Parademon

They didn't get too far down the road when Jason decided to pull over at a roadside rest area. He and Penny exited the truck to talk to the weird talking cat occupying the truck bed. e and He

"Alright," Penny began, "What are you? How can you talk, and what exactly is going on?"

"Well, you didn't even ask my name. Disappointing but I can overlook it." The talking cat said. "All right, you deserve some answers. I am a parademon. I chose this form because my actual demon form would confuse you and you probably wouldn't follow the commands of a little red, toddler-looking demon with tiny horns."

"So, you chose a cat?" Jason asked. "Why?"

"Cats are badass. They are nimble, dexterous, and stealthy. They have razor sharp claws and more strength than their little bodies should have. In fact, if they were a little bigger, they would probably eat you rather than be your soft cuddly pet." The talking cat had almost finished cleaning itself. "Oh, and they are self-cleaning. Look, almost done. I call shotgun."

"You can come up into the cab with us when we leave. Will you be staying a cat?" Jason asked.

"I could be anything. I am a shapeshifter. Well, anything but a human. I am not allowed to mimic a human. So, think about it. In order to blend in and gain your trust my options were pretty limited."

"You could have been a dog." Penny suggested. "I am definitely more of a dog person."

The talking cat stared at her for a moment, "Didn't you hear anything I just said? Oh, by the way, Jason, that was good thinking wishing this harlot to you. She will mask you from the other demons with her corrupted soul."

"Hey!" Penny protested. "Watch your mouth! I am not a harlot."

The talking cat glanced at her after another lick of its paw, "I don't lie, bitch."

"Oh, that's it! You are a dead cat!" Penny started to climb into the back of the truck. Jason stopped her. The cat readied his claws.

"Are you crazy? You saw what he did back there."

Penny pointed two fingers at her eyes and then directed them back toward the cat.

"I think we should take Penny back home or to her shoot. I'm not sure how she even got here."

"Didn't you wish her here?" The talking cat said.

"I thought so, but I couldn't wish her back,"

"That's because the Grievous Saeton only grants one wish a day. You can't wish her back until tomorrow."

"Grievous Saeton? That's what this thing is called?" He removed the figurine from his pocket.

"Yep, and it's like a beacon to all the demons nearby. They all want it and will do anything to get it."

"Including you?"

"I am a parademon. The damn thing doesn't grant me wishes or anything. I am considered a nobody in the demon world."

"Why are you helping me then?

"Duh, I want to be a full demon obviously, and take that thing from you someday."

"So, the answer is yes. You want it too."

"Killing demons and taking control is the fast track to demonhood. I help you and maybe I can kill a few of my brothers and their parademons and get full demon status. But don't get too comfortable around me protecting you and all. I will end you if I need to. Oh, and don't get rid of the slut. She is helping you mask the Grievous Saeton. Man, she must have done some freaky shit on camera. She is almost eclipsing that thing."