Ch 1: Part of an Encanto

The miracle around filled the air as mountains tall as the skies rose from the earth below. Trees and flowers surrounded the people within with peace and safety as tiles emerged from the dirt, flipping to reveal bright colors and patterns.

The Encanto as everyone calls it now. It was magical, for sure. Your grandmother would tell you all about it. Nothing else, to be honest.

Magic this, miracle that, Madrigals when, Madrigals why. You grew up knowing them all. Their gifts, their talents and how perfect they all were. But you saw the glass shatter and the mirrors fall apart years ago. Their flaws and insecurities clear as day to you.

That was your gift. Your beautiful blessing from some old magic that you discovered you had when you were very young.

The Madrigal family fell apart. They're all fools. You thought.
They relied on their gifts like it was their faith. Acting like the holy figures of this valley, deserving of the people's worship. Pretending to be so generous. What a beautiful play. Who ran the show?

'But let's be clear, Abuela runs this show!'

Ah, her. Abuela Alma, the woman blessed by the miracle, passing down gifts to her children. Two of which passed down more, each to their own three children.

You couldn't stand it. They weren't the only ones who held magic, the Encanto was home to more people than just them. They may hold the heart of the miracle, but there is other magic in this world.

The only one you pitied was the youngest of Alma's children. The one who vanished all those years ago from all the hatred he received from his gift. What a blessing, isn't it? That miracle.
-
A herd of children stormed by you, yelling out for Mirabel who was desperately running away from them. You open your eyes from all the noise and look down at a kid that tripped over your foot, but scurried after everyone else like nothing happened.

'What about Mirabel!' They chanted.

"I never meant for this to get autobiographical!" She sung and hid behind walls and ran past crowds, but the kids kept up to pace.

All the running and singing in circles around you made your brow twitch. It irked you how many times this whole gift song was going to come up, sung by none other than the Madrigal's only ungifted child.

The family disappointment, no matter how much they would deny it. You saw the skepticism, the distaste or belittlement some in the family felt for the poor child.

Maybe she'll make a run for the hills soon enough as well. You think to yourself, corners of your mouth curling up. She might as well, no one wants her here anyways, she's a 'bad omen' for not having a gift.

You wonder how badly people would think of you if they knew more about you...

The few people playing their instruments to her song knew damn well she didn't get a gift. Shitheads the lot of them for playing a tune for her to explain herself to. They enjoyed tormenting her every day of the year for not being special huh.

You buck your hips back and push yourself upright. Swinging your leg around, you decide to head home from the ruckus around you. The youngest Madrigal is getting his gift tonight and this was the last place you wanted to be when the sun would begin to set and people would parade to the ceremony.
-
Reaching your home, you step inside and kick off your shoes, heading through the kitchen to your bedroom. You snatch an apple and toss it in your hand as you passed the living room arch.

Your grandmother lived with you,  no other family left in Encanto. Your parents ditched you and the place many years ago and now you were stuck with the Madrigal loving old lady. You cared for her though.

"Y/N! Y/N tonight is the night!" She hollered cheerfully after you.

"I know, lita!" You respond with equal volume, just much less cheer.

"Get your good shoes, the nice loafers you have. They go nicely with that blue shirt of yours!" Her voice partly faded off at the end with her muttering to herself at that point.

Opening your bedroom door, you lean your head back. "I'm not going, but you have a great time okay? Say hi to señor and señora Sanchez for me!" Taking a bite out of your apple, you retreat into your bedroom, closing the door behind you.

Your grandmother continued to mutter to herself and hum some old songs she liked, making you shake your head lightly.

Chewing your sweet and tart treat, you plopped down on a chair by your room window, watching people go about their day on the street beside your house. A few of them waved at you and you plastered a smile and a nod in turn, but after a few times, you got tired of it and kicked your window blinds shut, turning in your chair.

Life in Encanto could get incredibly boring unless you liked gardening, farming, building or arts and crafts or community service. Maybe you just weren't such a creative mind or didn't care for carrying other people's bricks, but life for you was incredibly dull.

The main attractions were always the Madrigals in town or not much else went on. It was an uneventful life.

Taking more bites out of your apple, you finished it down to the core and tossed the remains. Maybe you'll use your gift tonight and see something moderately interesting. It was a big night after all.

Thinking over your grandmother's words, you sat quietly for a moment. Or well, lounged. You weren't one for a proper posture. Leg bouncing, you squinted at nothing in thought before getting out of your chair on a whim.

Tossing your shirt off, you pick up the blue one your grandmother mentioned and pull it on, buttoning it. Finishing off the simple change, you kick on your grandmother favorite pair of your shoes, the famous loafers, before brushing your hair somewhat neatly.

Upon exiting your room, you see your grandmother lightly dancing around as she got ready for Antonio Madrigal's big night. She spots you and smiles.

"So you are going! Oh wonderful wonderful!" She beamed as she doddered over to you, cupping your face in her little hands. She gave you two kisses on each cheek and looked you over so proudly.

"Such a handsome young man! I still want to see you charm a lady, mi hijo!" She shook her finger in the air while shuffling into the kitchen.

You smiled, hanging your head from her comments. "Lita, I'm not-"

"Not interested in marriage, I know I know-" She imitated you, though exaggerating with her distaste for your disinterest. "But! You have to settle down someday."

She went on about her husband back in the day and about your parents as well. A story you've heard about a hundred times now, but you knew she didn't really remember telling you so you dared not to interrupt.

Sitting down by the kitchen counter, you leaned on your elbows, listening with a sympathetic smile.

Soon you'd both head out into the parade that you so despised, but you were keeping your eyes on the goal, not the journey.

A/N
Woo a belittling, resentful and apathetic MC  🙌 just what I needed