34 | Thirty-four

PHOEBE HAYES

EVERY TIME I THINK about what I want to do with my day, I end up sitting in my room staring at the ceiling. Much to my dismay, it's hard to figure out things to do especially with school taking up so much of my time. It feels like I'm trapped into doing nothing.

But then again, I am a pretty lazy person so. . .it's basically my problem. The thing is, I don't have a lot of interests and even when I do pick up a hobby, I end up dropping it two days later because it takes too much energy to continue.

You'd think I'd be good at picking up a new language or starting a new hobby to pass the time? Well, you're wrong. I have the attention span of a fly. I basically get interested in something for like a day or two and then move onto the next best thing, it's really. . .annoying, but then again, everything seems to annoy me nowadays.

I just want to have something in my life that I can fully appreciate and not get bored of. People are one of those things. It's always the fact that someone is too loud or the silence hurts my ears or even someone whispering across the room. Everything pisses me off. I don't exactly know why but I've just hit my breaking point where I couldn't care less about what others think of me.

Getting up from my spot on the couch, I walk over to Eli and wrap my arms around his waist from behind. I sink my cheek into his back and revel in the way he relaxes against me.

Turning in my arms, he looks down at me. "You want something, don't you?"

I wrinkle my nose, "How did you know?"

"Hm, lucky guess," he shrugs.

"You're so lame," I scoff, poking him in his side. He jerks away and I smile at that. "Are you ticklish?" I ask, trying to cover up my laugh.

"No, I'm not," he glares at me.

"Whatever you say, sunshine," I nod, going to grab a bunch of stuff from his pantry because I'm bored and I feel like baking a cake because why not? I'll eat it either way because cake is good and I have zero self control, but still.

"Sunshine, really? You act like a five year old sometimes." He shakes his head at me, his wavy brown hair framing his face and falling in his eyes.

"It's just because you're such a ray of sunshine," I say, sarcasm laced within my tone. Grabbing all of the ingredients, I place them down on the marble counter.

"Yeah right," he snorts.

"Now move," I push at his chest so I can reach for the bowls right behind him. "I have stuff to do and it's not you," I smile.

"Har."

"I'm so funny, right?" I say, rolling my eyes playfully.

"That you are," he grumbles, grabbing me by the waist and pinning me between him and the counter.

"What are you up to?" I raise my eyebrow at him and all he does is grin at me.

"Hm." Is all he says.

I laugh for no reason and try to get away. This is not the reason I'm in the kitchen in the first place. My one task was to bake a cake and now look at me, I'm standing here staring at him. He's beautiful, I will admit but he doesn't need that ego boost so I'll keep that to myself for now.

He tightens his grip on my waist and before I know it, he's laughing against my neck. Why? I don't know but the sound of his low rumbling laugh sends bees stinging all around my stomach. Yes, I said bees.

"Why are you laughing?" I try to cover up my amusement by resting my head on his shoulder.

"Honestly? I don't know," he sighs, relaxing against me and I smile internally.