|🔆|Chapter 6: Memories|🔆|

As months passed by River became more and more acquainted with sign language and certain expressions that weren't mentioned in any of the books they had been studying.

Maya had shown herself to be an excellent teacher and even though she sometimes lost her patience, River was able to calm her down and even made her laugh.

Slowly they became more and more fond of each other.

When the time was right and River felt the two of them had become close friends, they asked about the day they met.

"Hey, Maya, what happened back then? What was causing you so much pain?"

Maya was silent for a while. She then looked up and said: "I'll show you."

She guided River to her bedroom and dug up an old tin box from under her bed.

She dropped it on her sheets and opened it as River looked over her shoulder.

The box was filled with drawings, drawings of a mermaid River knew all too well.

"Mermaids..." they muttered.

"Only one," Maya corrected. "When I got here, this was the only thing I ever drew: always the same mermaid over and over again."

"When I saw your drawing," she continued, "I couldn't help but think it resembled this one ridiculously much. You were able to get even the smollest details exactly the same.

It triggered some memories from a long time ago. Memories I had buried deep inside, but that couldn't be actual memories, but they feel so real."

"What kind of memories?" River asked.

"This will sound ridiculous, but... I... All I remember from before I got here... It all happened under water. Not in a submarine or so, I mean really under water."

Maya looked away as she said: "I think I was a mermaid."

River took her hand in theirs as they waited for Maya to look them in the eyes.

As their eyes met, River said: "I believe you."

Maya signed thank you before she hid her face in River's neck.

Thank you.