Chapter 10

Paul only had so much time to stare at a mannequin, and a Thursday was definitely short of it. Today, he was employed in the tallest building of the city's busiest avenue where a charity fashion show was scheduled to commence on the fifth floor. New fashion brands were lined up to showcase their clothes for the first time, and famous designers gathered to observe their debuts. The setup wasn't too fancy, but Paul could imagine the funding was generous. He took a spot at the lip of the runway and tweaked his lenses. The event was about to begin.

"Esteemed guests, fellow artists, and beloved members of the audience, it is an honor to have all of you here today to witness the newest creations of our riveting youths. Before we start, we will have one of our major sponsors give his opening remarks."

The emcee exited the platform and was replaced by the last man Paul had expected to see.

"Thank you very much. I am Tyler Green, founder of the SEA project and head of the tourist executive committee. It is a pleasure to be here today. You might be wondering why a man with my profession is standing before you during an event such as this one."

Paul felt a nudge at his side.

"Hey, why aren't you snapping?" Angelo asked.

"O-Oh, right. Sorry." Paul stuttered, taking his camera and focusing it on Tyler. He could feel his head beginning to throb.

"When I was younger, I lived in a humble province several hours away from the city. We were gifted with a magnificent view of the sea from a chilly coast where a large dock used to stand proudly. Now, after several decades of storms and neglect from the local government, it's become eroded and weak to the point that it is no longer safe to moor and walk on. However, I have faith that our new generation can restore its beauty using the money that we collected for this event and many other initiatives in the future. If we are able to improve its conditions, tourism will flourish once again, and a great share of the profits will be used to fund university scholars taking fashion design courses around the country's developing regions. It is in my best interest to develop these beautification projects that are sustainable and equitable, and with that, I extend my deepest and sincerest gratitude for all of your support. Please, enjoy the show."

"Hey, Paul, are you okay? You look a little out of it."

Paul's chest boiled with a jumble of emotions he couldn't identify. They weren't overflowing, but they were on the edge, and he guessed that it was probably because the sight of Tyler triggered an angry, forceful revisiting. Tyler was successful now; maybe that's why.

"I'm fine." He said, and then resumed his work as if nothing was wrong. And there really wasn't anything particularly wrong. That is, until the end of the show.

The truth is, Paul had realized for quite some time why he felt so scared all those years ago. It wasn't because he questioned his ability to stay by Drew's side, or because he was afraid of getting hurt. It wasn't because he feared the consequences of his affiliation to him or because he was afraid Drew would leave him. It wasn't even largely due to his poor, adolescent, body image. In the end, Paul was afraid that he didn't deserve him.

"Now, I will call on stage our most valuable guest to deliver the closing remarks," the emcee announced, "He has served as the bridge between the fashion industry and the organizations responsible for the initiatives that improve our infrastructures and natural environment. For the last half-decade, he has successfully raised the bar for sustainable development in over a hundred small and local communities all over the country. He has also participated in the funding and direction of bullying prevention programs for the protection of youths in the LGBTQ+ community. Today, he continues to advocate for human rights, gender equality, and the pursuit of artistic freedom through his work and efforts. Everyone, it is my greatest honor to introduce to you, Mr. Andrew Cohen."