Three

"Now, you know. I've had a little to drink-"

"Boo, excuses!" I shout.

Natasha stands in a lane, a Glock in her hand. She chuckles, then raises the gun and fires three shots. The center of the forehead, the heart, then the crotch.

"Classy."

"Thank you."

We trade, I hand her the whiskey as she hands me the gun. She sips as I take up my place. I raise my hand to the target.

"Don't be upset when you don't hit. It takes a few years to become a real Avenger."

I smirk, slowly looking back at her over my shoulder. I settle my gaze on hers, then fire three shots as I stare into her. And see her jaw drop, just a little.

"How the fuck did you do that?"

She steps into the lane, pressing the button to call the target back. But I keep my eyes on her, not needing to look at my aim. Natasha grabs the edges of the target, pulling it closer and running her hands over the thick paper. Now I look. My bullets went right through hers, making the original hole bigger.

"Holy shit," she mutters.

"Tony was right. I am the better shot." She continues to stare, fingers fluttering over the paper and our joined hits. "Can't blame it on the liquor."

She smiles. "A woman after my own heart. You're going to have to teach me."

"So that's why I was recruited. Not to become an Avenger. To show Black Widow how to shoot."

She laughs, and when she looks up at me, we both realize how close we are. It's a small lane, the booth for shooting only big enough for one person. But in her shock to retrieve the target, and my lack of sobriety of moving out of the way, we crammed ourselves inside. Her side is grazing my front, our heads only half a foot apart.

And this, here, now, is when I feel a flutter in my stomach. With Natasha Romanoff, ex-Russian-assassin, staring at me so intently she looks like she wants to eat me, and her body so close to mine her warmth reaches through my layers and hugs me just the slightest, now is when I realize I've been wanting her ever since I got here. And I never let myself admit it.

But just before I make the decision to lean in and kiss her, the door to the range opens, and Peter stands in the doorway rubbing his eyes.

"I thought there were gunshots," he mumbles, squinting at us. "I sensed them. With my tingle."

Nat smiles at him, dropping the target and stepping out of the booth. I take a drink because of her absence beside me, trying to warm myself with the booze instead.

"You're right, spidey. You stayed the night?"

"MJ and I fell asleep studying so we just decided to sleep over."

"Does MJ have her own room?"

Peter stiffens at this. "Yes..."

Nat chuckles. "Go back to bed, Peter Parker."

He obeys, turning around and shuffling back the way he came.

"I should head back too. Get some sleep," I say.

Nat almost looks disappointed, but then she nods. "Yeah, you look tired. In the cutest way possible."

I hum, brushing past her. "Thank you. For this," I say, motioning to the range.

"I should be thanking you."

"Well, consider us both thanked." She laughs, and I salute her goodbye. "Goodnight, Natasha Romanoff."