Chapter 10

LEXY'S P.O.V

"Uncle Brad, do you have some time?"

"Sure honey, sit with me." He folded his newspaper. "What is it?"

"So...I got my acceptance letter from college." I started very slowly, tried to speak organizedly.

"Lord! Congratulations sweetheart! I'm so proud of you." He happened to hug me real tightly.

"Thank you." I faked a cheer. "And uh... They offer me a place to stay as well."

"Place to what?" Uncle Brad widened his eyes.

"I know. They said there's this appreciation offer for 15 students with best SAT score, one of them is me, to get a free-charged studio apartment inside the campus area."

"I'm not sure..."

"Ms. Gina, my academic tutor, called me earlier. She offered it by herself. Look. I'm very humble to be here, Uncle. Couldn't thank you enough for the most comfortable space of my own upstairs and how you treat me like your own daughter. But...this is my chance to be on my own feet. To face the college like it's supposed to be."

"So...you accept the offer?"

"I have..." I bowed my head. "I know this might be disrespectful but I'm just..."

"I understand, little girl. You're a brave girl. I would do the same thing, your aunty would do the same thing, if we were you."

"What? You're not upset at all?" I jumped a bit. Uncle Brad has the biggest heart ever.

"No." She pinched my nose. "But I take no more excuses if you don't call me when you need something."

"Hahaha. Roger that." I buried my face inside his hug. "Thank you."

"No problem honey." He whispered. We both shared some tears. "When will you move out?"

"I'll go meet Ms. Gina first tomorrow. Then probably I'll move out before the orientation week begins."

"Good for you." Uncle Brad stroked my hair.

"Thank you again so much, Uncle. I wouldn't be here without you."

"Mention not." He smirked. Wow I love him so much.

So the rest of the day I spent to also talked privately with Aunt Deborah in her room. Uncle gave us some space. Aunty accepted it a little bit harder. She said she loves my presence. It was more emotional for her to let me go. I know I told her we're not separated that far. Finally she understood. Case closed.

And tonight I locked myself in my room. Mentioned it to Uncle and Aunty not to tell their children that soon, I hid myself behind an excuse of studying for the next interview test. Justin and Veronica didn't know I'm gonna leave just yet.

"J, can I come in?" I knocked his door at this late night.

"Oops! Just a moment!" He answered. "Hey hey come in."

"What you doing? Oh wow." I stared at all messy paper on the floor.

"Haha. Sowwy. Braiden asked me to learn some new songs." Justin smirked. "What you up to?"

"I just finished packing." I said slowly.

"Packing? Whoa. Where you going, cous?"

"Chill. Chill. Gonna explain this to you. So...gladly they've accepted me. And asked me to move into the campus apartment."

"M...ove?" He was all shocked.

"Justin, it's been a pleasure to be here and hang out with you guys. But to live inside the campus sounds amazing to me. I would need no transportation, waste no time to come home, not making everybody worry anymore..."

"What makes you think you can accept the offer?"

Suddenly Justin's tone went higher. He's upset. Oh, so this is it. By my third time, I finally made somebody mad at me. And sadly it's Justin.

"J, listen to me first, please." I started to cry.

"I hope it's not about Veronica." He said it deep down from his throat.

I wish it wasn't.

"No, of course not. It's about me. I can't waste more time. I should finish my study then go home. My parents need me. I think it'd be easier to lock myself in the campus so I would go nowhere..."

"Toby likes you."

Bam. Right in my face.

"Tell him to not to." I held my breath.

"You sure about that?" Justin studied every inch of my eyes to break my code.

"Positive."

Then said nothing at all, he hugged me. Really tightly. He buried me inside these big arms and cried on my shoulder. I don't remember the last time I saw Justin being this vulnerable. Maybe he's tired of life. Just like me.

"You happen to tell Ve?"

"Not yet." I shook my head. "Probably later."

"No. Let me handle it. She needs to know nothing from you anymore. She doesn't deserve it after what she did to you."

"J...she's your own sister."

"A sister of mine that's supposed to be the humble, kind, cheerful one. She loves too deep. And hates too much. The first person who she should've treated well in this world was you."

"Possibly not. I'm taking her happiness away." I blinked a tear.

"For a goddamn house party's sake, it's not that important. She should've threw you off like that."

"Justin...Justin take a breathe."

I hugged him. This time I replied his huge hug. We're emotional. I wish it wasn't about her that I decided to go out from this house. But unfortunately, it was.