𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚

CHAPTER NINE
"Kill them all"
——

"I should have went with them" Jane argues as she paces back and fourth in the office while Maggie sits up against the desk

"I should have went with them" Jane argues as she paces back and fourth in the office while Maggie sits up against the desk. "Jane, Rick and the others got this" Maggie says trying to calm Jane down. "I know but— I should've been there. Fighting with them. Fighting for Glenn and Joslyn and Abraham" Jane rants as she continues to pace back and fourth. "I think you need to calm down" Maggie says as she walks up to Jane and stops in front of her.

"I can't" Jane confesses as she locks eyes with Maggie who rests her hands on both of Jane's shoulders. "And Gregory— Oh my god! He's such a coward. Telling people that there families will be kicked out if they don't side with the Saviors" Jane rants referring to what happened earlier. "Jane" Maggie calls out and Jane lets out a breath, rolling her eyes. "I'm sorry. I— I don't know what to do" Jane admits as she takes a seat in one of the chairs. "First, calm down" Maggie informs as she sends Jane a smile before they are quickly interrupted by a horn hocking form outside. "You don't think it's—". "Let's find out" Jane says as she pushes past Maggie and rushes outside with Maggie on her tail.

They go towards the gate and see Enid checking it out with her binoculars. "It's him" Enid says as she looks down to Jane and Maggie. "Hey!" Gregory shouts as he knocks on the gate. "Hello!" Gregory calls out and Jane rolls her eyes as she crosses her arms over her chest. "What do we do?" Maggie asks as she looks over to Jane. "Open the gates but only half way" Jane orders and Maggie and Jane meet Gregory at the gate with an aggressive, annoyed look on their face. "What, is the gate broken?" Gregory asks as he looks through the small entrance he has.

"I don't think the gates broken" Gregory realizes. "What are you doing with Gabriel's car?" Maggie asks as Jane tilts her head. "Without Gabriel in it?" Jane questions as she locks eyes with Gregory. "I don't know who that is. The— The car was just there" Gregory states and Jane scoffs. "Okay, but what I don't understand is what you're doing here" Jane states. "I live here. This is my home. I built this place. Uh, you guys weren't there for that, but some of us didn't just show up" Gregory taunts and Jane chuckles softly.

"Open the gate just a little more" Jane orders and they open the gate a little more and Jane steps closer to the gate and punches Gregory right in the nose. "You are a coward! Are you really gonna stand there and pretend what you did at that Sanctuary wasn't wrong!?" Jane shouts as she balls her fist up tightly while Gregory groans in pain. "You tried to give people an ultimatum! A very shitty one!" Jane shouts as she looks into Gregory's eyes with such aggressiveness.

"I— I was only working for the side of sanity. I was working for peace" Gregory argues and Jane furrows her eyebrows. "You threatened to kick people out" Maggie argues as she steps beside Jane. "Those people don't know peace and you were dumb enough to think so" Jane calls out as she looks Gregory up and down disgustingly. "Those people you tried to sell out are trying to fight for a better life" Maggie argues. "Look, the "throwing out the families" line was all Negan. He made me say those horrible things. I went to them in— in you know, in the interest of— furthering good-faith diplomacy" Gregory says as he stammers over his word any chance he gets.

"You're disgusting" Jane remarks. Maggie calls him a coward and reveals that Kal told them that Gregory wanted to warn Negan of the Militia's intentions to fight. Kal then pops his head over the wall to deny it and and gives Gregory the middle finger. "Listen, Negan already knew everything—" Gregory argues and Jane rolls her eyes. "I'm done. Goodbye" Jane says as her, Maggie and Enid start to walk away and that's when Gregory starts to desperately pleas for mercy, saying that he was scared and unsure if they could win in a fight against the Saviors.

Jane sighs and looks over to Maggie who has the same annoyed look on her face. "Just let him in. My gosh" Jane mumbles as she rests her hand on her head tiredly. Gregory starts to apologize and makes a scene. After listening to his pathetic cries, Jane and Maggie let him in, telling Enid that he isn't worth killing. Just then, Jesus' group arrives with the captured Saviors. Gregory immediately insists that they can't stay, but Jane sends him away while she and Maggie talks to Jesus.

"He actually came back after all that" Jesus remarks and Jane looks out at all the Savior's Jesus has. "What the hell is this? Are we really suggesting they stay here?" Jane questions as she motions to the Savior's. Tara then walks up and says she agrees that they shouldn't be allowed to stay. "There are families here. Children" Maggie informs as she looks to Jesus. "There's two empty trailers out back. We could lock them up in there with round the clock guards until this whole thing is over and go from there..." Jesus suggests and Jane sighs as she looks to the ground.

"You know what they've done to us, right? What they've taken from all of us?" Jane asks as she lifts her head. "Of course but— they surrendered" Jesus admits. "That doesn't make them good people it just makes them smart because they left a fight they knew they couldn't finish" Jane states as she locks eyes with Jesus. "We can't let them go and we can't kill them" Jesus says and Jane scoffs, "Why not?" Jane asks and Jesus shakes his head slowly. "This is not the Jane that I wanted running Hilltop" Jesus states.

"Well, this is the Jane that came into Hilltop" Jane admits as she looks to Maggie then over at Tara and back over at the crowd of Savior's who've surrendered but all she sees is her husband and sister dropping to the floor dead as she looks to them. They may not have swing the bat or machete but they were there and they stood by Negan while he killed people who didn't deserve it. "Do what you want" Jane says as she starts to walk away. "Jane—" Maggie calls out but Jane waves her off and continues walking away.

Jane walks until she makes it to the graves. Jane takes a seat in between Glenn and Joslyn's graves and begins twisting her wedding ring around on her ring finger nervously. "I don't like how angry I am but I don't know what people expect" Jane says as she looks down at Glenn and Joslyn's graves and tears begin to cloud her vision. Jane then pulls one of the small blades out of her boot and slowly twirls it around in her hand. "I'm sorry but... they don't get to live" Jane whispers to herself as she places her the blade back in her boot and stands to her feet.

Kill them all is the only three words that ran through Jane's mind as she saw Jesus and Tara transporting the prisoners to the two trailers in the back.

WORD COUNT: 1258

WORD COUNT: 1258