07 || Happy Birthday ||

“Weep for yourself, my man, you’ll never be what is in your heart. Weep, little lion man, you’re not as brave as you were at the start.”

Chapter 07 | | Happy Birthday | |

December 24th, 2014

It’s Louis’ birthday, but I wish it wasn’t.

For an entire week, I had tried to avoid talking about the upcoming date but it was impossible to just skip over today. Zayn could see how uncomfortable I was getting but even he knew that I couldn’t ignore today.

To make matters worse, my mother called the other day and Zayn’s mother accidently answered. She was very mad at Zayn for lying to her saying that my mother knew the entire time. Zayn’s mother and mine both agreed that I would go home Christmas. Zayn was upset, too.

I slept on the couch downstairs in fear of Louis just walking in; by lying on the couch, I had more ability to run out the back door and far, far away. By morning, I had hardly slept at all and I was just watching the numbers on the clock change repeatedly. Zayn was walking downstairs as soon as the last number turned into a seven. He rubs his eyes a bit before noticing the lump on the couch.

“What are you doing, Harry?” He asks, walking over to me and crossing his arms. “Did you try to sneak out?”

“I think if I tried to sneak out I wouldn’t have came back, yeah?” I smile.

He chuckles softly. “Touché.” He walks over to the kitchen. “Do you want some breakfast?”

I pull the blanket high over my face. I can smell Zayn’s aftershave on the fabric. “I think I’ll puke it up. I’m not feeling so good. Do you think we can convince him I can’t come over?”

Zayn’s feet shuffle in the kitchen and I hear the microwave open. It closes and after four beeps, it starts heating. The shuffling comes closer and the blanket is ripped from my body. “I don’t think we could convince Louis that you can’t come over even if you were puking your guts out. He’d probably try to take care of you.”

I sit up to rub my swollen eyes. “He doesn’t need to take care of me, he’s got Harmony.”

“I would hit you if you weren’t so upset about this.” Zayn says immediately after. “I knew you were going to say something like that.”

“How dear of you.” I reply. “Maybe I should get better so you can slap me to tomorrow.”

“Maybe you should eat the eggs I’ve prepared for you and be happy. You don’t have to stay the night or anything; he probably just wants to clear his conscience. I can just be a phone call away.” He pulls on my arm to lift me from comfort. “Come on, then.” I moved from the cushion to wood as I sit on the stool and admire the smell Zayn is producing with his cooking.