Prologue

Time. Time matters more than anything during the minute and thirty seconds between clearing the first jump and clearing the last.

Faults. They're everywhere in the horse world, both metaphorically and scientifically. They add up, each pole costing you a little bit of points that could make a huge difference. One pole, one clip of a rail can ruin a career, lose a show, ruin everything.

Lies. The fascinating thing about the horse world is there are different sections, the ranchers where horses are the income, where work horses help them herd cattle and much more.

The race business, full of secrets and betrayals and behind the back deals.

The pleasure world both English and Western, where horses are closer to pets or friends then partners.

And finally, the show world. In a way, it's both the best and the worst. Your horse is not only your friend, but your partner, you work together hand in hand. You must be completely in sync with that one thousand pound animal, your connection so deep that you can jump barriers, give silent cues, and ultimately, chase gold.

A/N: I know the prologue is short, I promise the other chapters are at least three or four pages on Word. This is my first attempt at writing a book about horses, which is ironic considering I've been riding since I was three and used to be obssessed with horse books when I was younger.