nine

DIRTY

DIRTY

"Gonna get dirty"

Late Sunday night Charlotte sat in her room all alone. Pluto was punched at the end of her bed, snores falling quietly from her lips, as Charlotte read the reminder of 'Gone Girl'. Every now and then she would glance up from the book and laugh at her television screen. She wasn't just laughing at the blank screen, 'Friends' was on, she couldn't sit in a dead silent house.

It was when she got up to use the restroom that she heard the bell ring. Immediately she thought it would be Jasper, she hadn't heard from him since he had left Pluto on her doorstep. So for some reason it just felt right that he would show up at her house.

However, once she swung the door open, it wasn't Jasper on the other side.

A random woman with the same colour hair as hers stood there smiling. Charlotte's initially reaction was to start closing the door, words already falling from her lips, "Sorry, we don't want to buy or subscribe for anything."

She had hoped that would be enough to send the woman on her way, however, she turned out to be a typical redhead and would not take no for an answer. "I don't want to sell you anything." She spoke as she shoved her foot in the closing door.

Charlotte pulled a face at these words, she didn't like it. "Then I'm really sorry but I can't help you." Charlotte wasn't sure why her mind jumped to the woman being a begger, maybe it was the battered clothes she wore, or the fact that they used to get people knocking on their door all the time in New York asking for money. "We don't have any money to give you."

The woman, still not taking no for an answer, pushed the door open, "House like this and no money to give? Don't let God hear you say that."

"I'm not Catholic." Lying came so easy to Charlotte.

A dirty finger was pointed at the wall next to the door, where there happened to be a cross, "Really?"

Panic started to settle in Charlotte's stomach, she did not like this. "Self proclaimed atheist."
Thank God April wasn't home to hear her say that.

The woman hummed, a sickening smile on her lips, "Can I come in?"

Almost immediately Charlotte went to say no, but something about the woman in front of her was drawing her in. "Who are you?"

"Victoria."

"Do you have a surname, Victoria?"

The woman- Victoria- decided she would let herself in, her muddy shoes trailing along the carpet and into the kitchen, "And what if I didn't?"

Charlotte stood with her hand on the front door for a few seconds, before sighing and closing it. Looked like they had a squatter now, "Then I'd think it's rather weird."