Wild Garlic and Dandelion

Paddington Bear releases a whinging fart and looks up at Carmen with tragic brown eyes.

''Yeah, I know, ye ol' fing. Rumbling tummies is no joke.'' She loosens her own belt buckle one notch and smiles. It's been so long since she has adjusted it any way other than inwards, but for the first time in months she is feeling well-fed. She isn't even feeling afraid of the upcoming week-long school break where she won't get her regular sponsored lunch.

There have been the occasional meals at Bishop's End of course. Those have been the best, although they veer more towards the vegetarian side of things than Carmen would ideally prefer. But Honora's golden, crispy Yorkshire puddings with rich, warm onion gravy seems to feed more than just her body; eating it feels like a smile through her solar plexus, like she is feeding her soul.

Miss Martins has also been paying her to do a few odd jobs. It's mostly walking Paddington Bear, the ancient dachshund that Miss Martins inherited from a deceased aunt, but sometimes it is running to the store to pick up groceries.

She much prefers the latter. Paddington Bear is decrepit to the point of decay. There is a strange odor emanating from most of his orifices and she is certain he would have a raw patch on his belly from the way it drags along the pavement when walking if they moved fast enough to create any actual friction. Also, when she does the store-run Miss Martins always seems to add an Aero bar or a packet of Liquorice Allsorts onto the list just for her.

Most of these treats she has stashed in her bedroom cupboard in preparation for the week away from school, but it doesn't look like she will even be needing them. Len has been conspicuously absent all week and as a result, her mother seems to have cleaned up her act. She has even held down a temping job in Chelmsford for a couple of days. It's a bit further afield, where her reputation has not yet proceeded her. There is food in the kitchen once more and she and Carmen have been taking turns to cook dinner.

Her mother has been uncharacteristically emotional at these mealtimes, reaching out and grasping Carmen's hand in her own scrawny one.

'''S gonna to be be'a for us now, Carmie. I swear,'' she has been saying tearfully. ''Len's not in the picture any more. Back in London, 'ee is. 'S gonna be jus you and me again my girl. Like ol' times.''

And Carmen lets her mother hold her hand, lets her cling to it because she can feel her desperation to be believed. She wants to give her mother that much. But still, it feels good to have the money she has earned from Miss Martins tucked away. Just a little something of her own. Just in case.

''Come on ol' git.'' She yanks on the leash and turns an unwilling Paddington Bear back in the direction of Miss Martin's cottage. ''I got to get te school.''

When the bell rings for recess that day, Maya is waiting for Carmen besides the rows of lockers

'''Ow was yer dinner with the long cool drink 'o water yesterday?'' Carmen asks her friend.