Chapter 1- Rose

"Come on it can't possibly be that bad," Caroline says on the other end of my phone.

"It's a themed restaurant that can't make up its mind," I complain," last month I had to dress up like a bumble bee to be a waitress."

"But you get $15 an hour I think you can suck it up," Caroline jokes.

I sigh, I live in the small town Dakota Springs, Virginia. There's about 1000, maybe 1500, people living here and only one diner with a changing theme. I just happen to work there, and that forces me to walk around in whatever crazy costumes the owners want me to wear without complaint.

This month's theme isn't bad. Usually it's something wacky like a ladybug on roller skates or something but now it's New England Sailors themed.  It's means I have to wear tight little white pants and a blue striped cardigan, unbuttoned, and a white cami. The only thing I don't like is the hat, the big, old fashioned sailor's hat. But I'll make do since I'm getting money and I love the owners like my parents.

"Ok fine," I tell Caroline after a second," but I'm at work so love you see you later. "

I hang up with my best friend and walk into work.
--------------------
Big Betty refuses to go by just Betty and insists everybody call her that. The name doesn't disappoint, she brings me into a hug, pressing my face into her squishy breastbone even though I'm taller than her.

Sae brings me into a hug after, squeezing me tight.

"How was your father's," Betty exclaims," we missed you!"

My parents are divorced and my dad just had to get out of Dakota Springs. While my mom stayed here, dad moved to California, so I see only my dad in June. But I spent the rest of the year with my mother.

Mom threw herself into work after dad left us, only coming home to sleep and restock some groceries.

"Great and I missed you too," I say as I tie my apron.

"There's a two top over there," Sae calls out as he walks back into his kitchen. He usually isn't one to stay and chat for long. There is work to be done! He always says.

I laugh and pick up notepad, time to start working again.

I'm looking at my notepad as I walk to the table, not really actually seeing my customers until I hear their voices.

"Why isn't it Rosemary Prior," I look up and see my brother smiling up at me.

"Luke!" I exclaim, bringing him into a hug.

His uniform crinkles when I pull him into a hug. Luke is my older brother. He was deployed to Afghanistan last year on his 19th birthday. I hadn't seen him since. He lifts me off my feet as I clutch his shoulders.

"I missed you so much!" I cry.

"I missed you too," he says.

I pull back and look at his buzz cut. It looks like it hasn't been cut in a while, showing his dark hair. His warm eyes show a new wisdom that I don't remember from when I last saw him.

I smile and pull out my notepad," what would you like for breakfast?" I ask jokingly.
----------------------

Work was long, but I'm home by 5. Luke is dead asleep on the couch and mom is helping me set dinner on the table.

"Look!" She says, gazing out the window.

I follow her line of sight, noticing a moving truck pulling out of our neighboring house. Mom nudges me with her elbow, pointing towards 3 teenage boys all walking into the house.

She takes a plant from our windowsill and hands it to me," house warming gift."

I laugh," no, I look like crap."

Mom looks at me incredulously," go clean yourself up and give it to those three very good looking boys."

"Mom," I laugh.

But I obey, running upstairs to change from my sweatpants and t-shirt to short shorts and a tribal tank top. It is the first week of summer of course. Running down the stairs, I slip on my bright red vans and take the plant from the table.

I take a deep breath, fixing my hair a little, pulling it into a long, chestnut colored ponytail. My vans quickly grow wet from the damp grass but it doesn't bother me much.

It only takes me a moment to get to the house and knock on the door. The plant feels heavy in my hands as somebody opens the door.

It's a boy, a very hot one at that. He has a small little girl on his shoulders and a huge grin on his face. When he looks at me his smile falters and he sets the little girl on the ground.

"Go find Sam," he says sweetly and shops her off.

Wow. He is so good looking.