Chapter 1 - Page 3

The sea was calm and blue, and the warm sunrise tinted the clouds ever so pink. It was getting warm in my room, so I walked over to the window to open it. I gingerly walked, counting my steps, so as to not wake my roomie and best friend, Rodney. It was about 6 a.m., an hour before the ship arrived, so he'd have to wake soon anyway. On my way to the window, however, I slipped and tripped, barely catching my fall by hanging onto the nightstand. Of course, that woke Rodney. He grumbled, "Ugh, what time is it?" He muttered as he sat up. Rodney rubbed his face and ran his fingers through his soft copper hair. "6 o'clock. You've still got time." I said, picking myself up to continue to the window. I saw him look at me from the corner of his eye, confusion was washed all over his face. 

"What? Time for what?"
"D-Did you seriously forget?" I mustered, shocked. This is one of the most important and greatest events that's ever going to happen in our lives!

"The expedition, stupid," I told him as I opened the window. Tufts of my black curls danced on my face as a cool breeze pranced through the room. He growled and stood up, going to the bathroom. I walked over to my dresser and continued picking clothes to bring. Might as well pack my whole wardrobe, I thought. Who cares. I took all of the shirts and pants I had in my dresser and shoved them into my suitcase. 

10 minutes passed and Rodney has come out of the bathroom, nicely clothed in his white button-up and our school's jacket, as the dress code states. All students must wear Freywan's jacket unless the temperature is above 110 *Gyissen. "You should start packing," I told him. "We only have, like, what, 27 minutes until 6:40 or so." Rodney scoffed and went to pack. 

Gyissen: The Otherworldian temperature measurement system. F = about 1.5G