Extra Story - The Warden of Ice

The Black Raven spoke to me once about someplace on the outskirts of the city. He called it "a world of endless winters." A place you and I might call a winter wonderland of sorts. The sky was clear of both clouds and sun, and the only inhabitants there came in the form of arctic beasts and blizzard knights.

This place is currently ruled by a king who calls himself the Warden of Ice. He was a man who once knew the warmth of happiness, as all the previous rulers did. However, his story was the most tragic.

Before he became the Warden, he was known as Gansby, a traveling sketch artist. He would go from town to town, seeking inspiration for his next masterpiece.

It was one of these trips that he met his Muse.

"Is it OK if I see your drawings?" Her voice cleansed Gansby's heart of all worries. Her kind smile brightened everything around him until he was sure that the whole world had turned to gold.

Yes, that's who Lucinda was to him. The daughter of doctors, she had a talent for crafting medicines that could cure any ailment. If only she knew about the disease that would later kill her, maybe...she could have treated herself.

Of course, the doctors would have had to diagnose her, but...they didn't.

Heartbroken, Ganbsy cursed the world. He cursed it for its insufficiency in preserving life. He cursed it...until he could no longer look upon it.

My master always told me that monsters were made when normal people reached the deepest pits of despair. I suppose the same rule must apply to cold-blooded tyrants. They reach the pits of despair and flee into the cold abyss of night, until they reach the domain of the Warden of Ice, their hearts now completely frozen.

How tragic the rise of the Frostbitten King.