The Bespectacled Two

A personal classic originally from 2011,
this story has been rewritten and revised
with additional content and scenes.

This story is for anyone who has faced
trauma in the past, and still finds the
strength to rise up every day.
I want you to know that I admire you.
Please, enjoy.
~C.

~*~*~*~

The Song of Hope Series:

"The Bespectacled Two"

~*~*~*~

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon at the Millers' residence. The old brick house sat back against the woods, with rows of little yellow, purple, and white pansies lining the outer porch, where old Miss Miller sat on a wooden swing with a hardback book in hand.

It was the direct middle of summer and, as expected, it was hot; the thermometer read ninety-two degrees Fahrenheit. After seeing how overheated the little ones were getting, after playing outside for only half an hour- and after noting that their fur couldn't possibly be helping them get any cooler- Miss Miller had granted them permission to play with the spray hose for a short while.

"Um, Miss Miller...?"

The old woman looked up from her book, pulling her glasses down so that she could see the little chipette peeking out of the screen door of the house.

"Hello, Jeanette," Miss Miller said in her soft, kind voice characteristic of old age, "Are you having fun?"

Jeanette smiled in her sideways little way. "Yeah...but I'm really thirsty. Can, uh, can you help me get some water, please?"

"Sure, sweetie," Miss Miller replied, setting her book down on the nearby wicker table before heading inside.

Meanwhile, in the closed-in back yard of the Miller household, the other five chipmunks were running wild as always. Alvin was busy chasing the others with an arc of cold water blasting from the water hose in his hands.

Alvin laughed as he tried to spray Eleanor, who squealed in response and dove behind a nearby hedge alongside Theodore. Brittany poked her head out from behind the tall oak, her fur soaked with water.

"Hey, hotshot!" she yelled, "Bring it on!" The eldest chipette playfully stuck her tongue out at her counterpart, who proceeded to come charging at the tree, laughing aloud. Brittany yelped and ducked for cover as a blast of water smacked into the oak, sending a cold spray flying through the air.

"Your day has come, Agent Pink!" Alvin taunted, "Give up while you can!"

"Never to you, Verminator!" Brittany shot back, launching herself at the chipmunk.

Laughing like a maniac, Alvin took off back around the yard as Brittany bolted after him. The chipmunk sprayed the hose frantically over his shoulder in an attempt to deter his pursuer, but to no avail.

Suddenly, the rope of the hose reached its full length, and cut short in Alvin's hands. It snapped up, caught around the eldest chipmunk's leg, and sent him spinning into the grass. Brittany, who had been following just behind Alvin, was unable to stop in time on the slippery grass. She tripped over the hose and found herself tumbling onto the chipmunk. Theodore and Eleanor burst out laughing from the cover of the nearby hedges.

Alvin looked up, grinning coyly at Brittany as she lay across him.

"Well," he said, "Fancy meeting you here!"