The Yule Ball

Keeping an eye on the ceiling, Adelena was extra careful to avoid the green-white mistletoe bunches hanging above. It was very nearly Christmas, the holiday being decorated thoroughly at Hogwarts. As she passed suits of armor, they sang Christmas hymns at her, most in an off-tune voice. Pine tree scents floated around the school, coming from unknown sources. Bells were put on every door, jingling lightly when she walked pass. She could've also sworn she saw real reindeer walking on school grounds.

It was all rather strange to her. At home, Christmas was a quiet afare. At school, Christmas was more of a relaxing period of time. Here, it was an explosion of excitement.

"I know, I know," said Rose, exasperatedly dodging one of the fairies that flew around. "Hogwarts takes Christmas quite seriously." But the words she said were embedded with pride. Adelena didn't need to guess to know that she was pleased with the way the school had decorated.

As much as the school was excited for the holiday, the Yule Ball was also coming up. Dated for Christmas Day, it was all the gossip inside Beaubaxton carriages. Rumour had it that Hogwart students needed lessons on dancing. While some thought it ridiculous, Adelena guessed that they hadn't had quite as many dances as Beaubaxtons.

Adelena was set to meet Professor Seracoth to decide her gown for the ball. She hadn't protested, however much she wanted too. It was important, she knew, to represent the school.

Accompanying the Yule Ball was the panic of getting a companion. Already, she'd seen the nervous boys burn bright pink with embarrassment as they asked their hopefuls. More often than not, they accepted.

So far, she had received five offers, and each time, she had smiled and politely refused. As long as they weren't from Beaubaxtons, she would accept. It was nothing personal, Adelena wanted something different, that was all.

"Are you excited for the Yule Ball?" asked Adelena, her usual sense of curiosity budding.

Rose nodded excitedly. "Yup. It's the first dance this year. I heard Gospel Village is coming, they're my favorite band. You think I could say hi?"

Adelena shrugged, "I don't see why not."

They walked up a spiral staircase decorated with icicles on the side.

"So," Rose asked casually. "Have you been asked yet?"

"Five times," she said, hoping she hadn't sounded proud.

Rose stopped mid-walk. "Seriously? Who are you going with?"

"No one."

"Why on Earth not?" Rose started to walk again in order to keep pace with the champion.

"I'm waiting."

"For what?"

"For someone that doesn't go to Beaubaxtons," Adelena said, the hard-earned confidence she owned shining through. "What of you?"

"I really don't want to say this." Rose muttered. "But no one's asked me yet."

"I'm sure someone will, soon."

Waving off the response, Rose shrugged. "It's fine. If no one asks me, I'll just go with my friends."

Amusement laced in her tone, Adelena smiled. "Why don't you ask someone?"

"Me?" Rose blushed. "It'd be so awkward. What am I suppose to say?" Her tone became mocking. "Hi. My name is Rose, will you go to the ball with me?"

"I don't see why not."

"I really don't know what you are, Adelena Zenore."

"Watch," Adelena said. "Who do you want to ask you?"