Chapter 1

"Tom!" Tom paused, mid-flight, hovering. Twigs was flying towards him, panic in his brown eyes. Twigs alighted on a leaf, watching nervously as Tom landed beside him.

"Hey Twigs, how's it going?" Tom asked cheerfully, wings fluttering with excitement. "It's a great day for flying! Come on!" He turned to leave, but Twigs grabbed his sleeve.

"Wait a minute Tom," He replied, his face a mask of worry. "Treetog wants to see you." Tom's wings stopped fluttering.

"She does? What for?" Tom rocked on his heels. " Is it serious?" Twigs nodded, launching himself off of the leaf.

"C'mon Tom," Twigs said, flying towards Treetog's manor. Tom followed, catching up to Twigs with effortless wing flaps. "I'll explain on the way."

Ariela  was waiting for the pair outside the hut, arms crossed. She gave Twigs an impatient look as he and Tom landed.

"Took you boys long enough." She muttered, jerking a thumb in the hut's direction. "Treetog's inside." Tom nodded, stepping inside. Twigs followed, but Ariela blocked him from entering. "Treetog only needs Tom, Twigs."

Tom entered the hut, ducking his head to avoid hitting his head on the doorframe. Treetog regarded him solemn eyes.

"Hello Tom," She said quietly, gesturing to the slumbering figure lying on the cot. "Keep your voice down. You'll wake her." Tom nodded, looking at the girl closely. She was small and slight, with pale yellow hair. Tom looked back at Treetog.

"Who is she?" He asked. Treetog's shoulders rose and fell in a shrug.

"She's a sprite." She replied simply. "But, I've never seen any of her kind before." Tom nodded. The sprite's eyes opened, widening. They were a beautiful dark green. She stared at Tom, who stared back. Treetog cleared her throat, and the two looked at her.

"Well then," She glanced at the sprite, who was rising to her feet. The sprite took Tom's hand

"I'm Rosie," She murmured shyly, looking away from Tom. "Miss Treetog said that you could help me, right Tom?" Tom nodded again.

"What do you help with, Rosie?" He asked.

"My family's on the outskirts of Treetopolis," She replied, starting to leave the hut. Tom followed, standing beside her. Rosie looked at him shyly. Tom blinked, confused.

" What're we waiting for?" He asked, and Rosie turned her back to him, revealing her wings, one of which was torn.

"I can't fly." She said quietly. " You could...carry me. If it's...alright with you." Tom gave her a quick nod, picking Rosie up, bridal style.

"Hang on tight," He murmured, and Rosie nodded, a faint blush on her face as she clung to him tightly. Tom took a running start, and leapt off of the tree branch.

"Now, where did you say your family was?" He asked, speaking over the howling wind.

"At the outskirts of Treetopolis," She replied. "In a old, rotting log." He nodded, flying quickly, leaving Treetopolis, listening to Rosie as she gave him instructions.

"There's the log!" Rosie said, and Tom landed nearby. Tom watched as Rosie dashed towards the log, entering it.