Meet Me Halfway

Los Angeles, 07.12.1984, 12.14

I stand above pallets with food holding the pliers firmly in my hands, which begins to shake. I'm getting hot, and it don't nowise caused hot burritos, which i want take, but thoughts in my mind. Probably, this burritos has a lot of calories. 

"Boo!" 

I drop pliers and these beat to metal. My eyes look at my best friends with exasperation.

"Martini!" I say "You scared  me!"

"I love you too, sister" she beats me in arm and smiles. In the end I took my tray with one apple, orange juice and chicken sandwich. My friend puts her arm around me and leads me to our table where Logan is sitting. These two are my only friends in our meagre high school. They are both well-liked and popular, but despite all they mostly hang out with me. This humbles me because I love their company.

I'm a pretty sociable girl myself, but my body for some reason, puts off my peers. I have a bit of a protruding belly, big shoulders and breasts the size of balloons, which results in unfavourable comments being sent in my direction. Sometimes I manage not to worry about it, but the truth is that it makes me cry under my comforter at night.

" I think we should go to a party" Martini says as we take our seats across from our friend. He  bites into his burger, then smiles radiantly to us. 

" I think you're crazy," I wink at her as she takes out her chocolate milkshake in a bottle from her bag. Most people have skipped lunch today in favor of extra study for final exams, so it's pretty quiet and I don't feel as watched as I always do.

" I think it's a great idea, but I'm dropping out" Logan says sadly. He takes another bite of his burger. 

"What do you mean?!"

" I'm sorry, Martini, but I need to brush up on my geography"  

" Why did you go for an extension? " asks  friend indignantly, taking a decent sip of her drink. I slowly unwrap my sandwich, looking left and right to see if anyone is watching me. I just hate it. 

"To study the behavior of monkeys likes you "

I burst out laughing, almost choking on my meal. Martini makes a face of disbelief, then takes a handful of fries from his tray and throws them in his face.

"Isn't it in biology that the behavior of individual animals is tested? " I interject and take piece of my sandwich,  as my two friends fight over their gazes. I love when this two banter, because it's make me happy every single time.

"Who would look at that?" Logan shrugs his shoulders as I take a sip of juice. I finish my sandwich in silence, when Martini said :

"People with brain" I laughing again "Mandy, you're coming with me today. Don't try to hedge!"

" But where is this party?" 

Logan looks at us, abandoning eating his burger. His green eyes look at me, then at the Martini. He waits for me to protest. 

"At Redondo Beach in Vince Neil house" Martini smiling, I blink my eyes. 

"Who the hell is Vince Neil?" Logan asks. A few girls behind him, burst out laughing.

" Are you serious? It's frontman of Mötley Crüe!" 

****

The shock at the news of where Martini was invited, extinguish down until now, as we sit in her room and begin preparations. 

I decided to go with her for two reasons. First is a fact that she is my best friend, second is that I finally had to go out somewhere. Hiding my body from everyone didn't lead to self-acceptance, rather it drove it away from me. I had to do something about it. And yeah, I'm afraid about the amount of people,  include drunk people and beautiful girls that I will envy, but sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone.