Chapter 1 - Ruckus in the Supply Room

All eyes lifted when the Commander's niece walked into the supply room, her head held high as she walked towards a collection of medical equipment and supplies. Her silver hair sat neatly at her shoulders and bounced elegantly with her feminine sway. A group of young soldiers whispered to each other, all making bets on who would be the first to tag her. Another group admired her from afar, practically frothing at their mouths. A few female soldiers rolled their eyes and ignored her presence in the room. The girl went about her business, feeling the prying eyes upon her body. She tried her best to ignore the unpleasant sensation and continued to dig through the barrels of medical supplies.

"Ailynn Bareck, fancy seeing you here. Shouldn't you be at the hospital, tending to those less fortunate than yourself?" Gelgar, a soldier a few years older than the girl spoke with a sly tongue, standing close to her leaning body.

Ailynn lifted her head and stared right into the man's cold, drunken eyes. "Hm? Oh, I was just gathering some supplies for the upcoming expedition."

Gelgar lifted a thick, ratty brow. "Expedition, huh? And you think your coming?" A group of soldiers behind the two snickered. "You don't stand a chance outside of the walls. I bet you don't even know how to kill a titan, yet alone use ODM gear."

She furrowed her brows and stood up from the ground. Ailynn stood a sure foot below Gelgar, but she was far more slim and nimble. If he attempted to assault her in any way, she would be able to dart away like a minnow avoiding a predator. "Thank you for your concern Gelgar, but I am needed on the medical team. This is my life, and I am going to live it the way I wish to."

He scoffed in response and stepped closer to the girl. "You don't know what you are doing, Bareck. You'll die out there, idiot."

Ailynn winced at him calling her an idiot. She had done nothing in her entire life to upset this asshole of a soldier. No, not a soldier. A boy. A burning feeling rose inside of her. Before she could open her mouth to speak, Gelgar was pushed to the floor in a matter of seconds. His face met the splintered plank floor and was pushed further downwards by a boot-covered foot.

"Shut up Gelgar. Stop being an asshole to people you know are better than you." A female soldier spat at the man below her. She removed her foot from his face and gave it a sudden kick, before moving it away for good. "Now get up and get shit done."

Ailynn stared silently at the soldier who now stood beside her. Her hair was an ashy blonde, styled in a short pixie cut which hung messily in bits around her face. Her eyes were dull, almost lifeless. Ailynn could tell that she held many secrets in those orbs.

The silence between them was awkward, until Ailynn decided to break it. With a friendly smile she thanked the soldier. "You didn't have to do that, really. But I appreciate it."

The soldier gave a shy nod and turned away, not saying a single word. She froze in place when she felt Ailynn's hand grab her arm. Ailynn could feel her tense beneath her hold and quickly released her grasp. She did not mean to startle the soldier who acted so suddenly, which then made her wonder what this girl had been through. "I am so sorry. I didn't mean to..."

"It's okay." The soldier spoke through a shaky breath. She didn't turn around and instead stared blankly at the ground. Ailynn's touch was different. She was gentle, her hands were soft and fair and her hold was warm, unlike anyone who had ever touched her before. Something inside her begged for more of this inviting warmth.

"Are you alright? Did I hurt you?" Ailynn was growing more worried by the second, afraid that she had harmed the soldier.

At last, the other girl turned around to face her. Her eyes were puffed and slightly watery. Not from pain, but from a feeling awakening deep inside of her. A desire of some sort. "Your name. What is it?" She spoke bluntly, which confused Ailynn.