Chapter 9 - The Brothel

The carriage rocked both Ailynn and Levi back and forth, occasionally causing them to bump into each other. Levi kept his eyes away from Ailynn's exposed chest and legs and peered out into the dark nothingness of the night. Her revealing disguise was sure to work wonders.

The plan was simple. Ailynn was to disguise herself as a prostitute and sneak into the rooms where the actual prostitutes worked and lived. There, she would be given a place to 'work' and she would soon be reunited with Levi, who would come in as a client. From there, the two would help to treat the ill or injured women.

Ailynn pulled at the tight dress, attempting to cover herself up. But the dress was far too small to lift an inch. She took in a sharp breath and instead placed her hand upon her breast. She could feel her heart pounding rapidly against the walls of her chest, which was soon joined with the sickening feeling of nausea. What the hell was she thinking? The Underground was crawling with hungry men. And why did it have to be the brothels of all places? She bit her tongue to inflict a distracting pain.

"Calm down, Bareck. You know how to take a man down, I've seen it with my own eyes." Levi spoke calmly, as if this mission was alike every other. Still, he respectfully kept his eyes off of Ailynn.

"That was when I had a full set of gear. I barely know how to use a dagger, let alone my own fists to take someone down." Her fingers curled around the outline of the dagger beneath her dress, which she had tied to her thigh for easy access.

"We've arrived at the brothel." The carriage driver spoke through a hoarse tone. Almost instantly, Levi opened the carriage door and escorted Ailynn out. A harsh slap was given to Ailynn's rump as she passed by the driver, who chuckled lowly. She spun around to face the man, but he had already flicked the reins and tore down the street. "Expect a visit soon, pretty lady!" His voice echoed through the enclosed streets.

Levi grabbed Ailynn's arm and tugged her forwards towards the brothel entrance. "I'll deal with him later." He whispered into her ear. "Remember we have to do everything we can to stick to the original plan. If it means you have to sleep with a client, just do it."

Ailynn's eyes widened and she stopped suddenly in her tracks. "Excuse me?" She slapped Levi's grip from her arm. "Me sleeping with strange men was NOT a part of the plan!"

"Well now it is." Levi shoved her forwards, forcing her to continue the path ahead. "The men here are thirstier than I remember."

"You better hurry then. Because no matter what you say, I am not doing a deed as desperate as that. Do you think I'm some kind of whore?"

"Ahh, so what do we have here? A new whore?" An wrinkled stout man bellowed from behind a chipped wooden countertop as Ailynn was forced into the building. "She's rather unusual looking, don't you think?" He pointed to her silver hair and wheezed out a laugh. "Nonetheless, I'll take her. The customers love new blood. How much?"

"You can have her for free. I found the rat begging for money outside of my workplace. So now, here's her chance to make a damn coin." Levi pinned her to the countertop and pressed her face against the hard, unpolished wood. It seemed like he was being rough but in reality, the woman did not feel the slightest bit uncomfortable. His hold was gentle - he wanted nothing more but for Ailynn to remain unharmed during his favour. He was simply protecting her, though that was not what it seemed.

The man at the counter drummed his fingers against the counter surface excitedly. His tongue ran across his cracking upper lip. "That is far too kind! Are you sure you don't want anything for her?"

Levi shook his head. "No. But I will come in later. I expect a free session with your best girl. Or perhaps to try out this new one. It's time I loosen up a bit." And with that said, he left the building.