Chapter 13

"We found the man at the airport but lost him temporarily. We could use more men."

Jean Paul placed his fingers on his head and closed his eyes. There would be a house cleaning when this was over.

"Call Anthony and tell him to get over there and help . . . and don't call again until you have them. Do you understand?" The Marlon Brando rasp was spot on and the man apologized, ending the call.

"Trouble, cheri?"

"Nothing to worry your pretty head about, Helene. Now — where were we?" Jean Paul purred.

***

"Keith, you'll have to slow down. I should have worn the wrinkled pants."

"I'm sorry – I'm trying to get us to a safe place – somewhere. Damn! There must be another - there! In the corner. Elevator." Once again she felt her feet leave the ground as he rushed them forward.

"The blue button is departures." Barbara panted, once inside the car.

"Okay, when the door opens don't get out right away. Let me check first. Will it be the departure lounge you think?"

"No. You have to check in first with your first class ticket."

"Here's my ticket. If we need to split up you get to the lounge and tell them I'm- whatever. I can just show my boarding pass then, right?"

"Yes but-"

"No, buts – what is taking so long to go two floors?"

The door opened and he held her back with one hand while he stuck his head out and looked around.

"I don't see them, but there could be more, c'mon."

Barbara forced him to walk casually both for appearance and her own ability in the tight skirt. Why she had chosen that for the Riviera would be a question for the ages, she groaned to herself.

"They're here." He whispered, steering her near a small group by the lounge entrance. "Light tan fedora by the window."

Barbara glanced up at the flight information screen by the entrance and saw they still had just over an hour to wait. Odds were getting very thin, she worried.

"Excuse me, are you going into the lounge?" The group turned as one and stared at Keith.

"They don't speak English." Barbara smiled and repeated his question in French, getting a critical once over by the women before they stepped aside and let them by.

"Merci bucket." Keith snapped, pushing Barbara up to the desk.

Straw hat was on his phone to loud shirt, who hurried toward the lounge, while he waited for the help to arrive. The sudden appearance of another group of people from the stairway, clogged up the entrance to the lounge as they joined the one already waiting, with shouts of glee, air kisses, hugs, and laughter.

The woman at the lounge desk asked Keith and Barbara to step aside while she processed the rest of the group that had arrived.

"Uno momento! Keith protested. We're right here and there's only two of us. Just let us in."

Barbara gawked. "Uno momento?"

"Whatever. Tell her to let us in."

"No use, Keith. She has her priorities. Period."

"Yeah, well so do I, c'mon." He took Barbara's arm and steered her into the lounge, walking quickly to the area with the most people.

"This will mean trouble."